Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Replacement tree?, 1 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Replacement tree?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Replacement tree?
ViburnumValley wrote:
I'd challenge the website of one of your favorite sources: Put up or shut up.

And global warming, should it smite thee, will be your friend (insofar as growing Franklinia alatamaha.

I am gardening in Scott County, central KY, zone 5b (though some will say we've moved up to 7a since 1994, when we last had a -28F winter). We average (if you believe the NWS) 44" or so rainfall per annum. I am gardening in circumneutral heavy clay loam (Lowell B), which gets the 1-2" wide cracks when it gets into summer drought time (like today!).

I grow plants on 10 acres. It's not possible to handmaiden everything. My Franklinia got its first watering of the year this morning. I credit its good health and reasonable performance to observation. You keep an eye on things you haven't grown before, and add care as needed. I have far more mundane species around the property that I believe like it here a lot less (including doublefile viburnum, star magnolia, and forsythia), based on what they look like right now which is downright dogeared.

I would suggest a regular course of watering to get your new plant established (as one would expect with just about any new plant). Buying a plant that is container grown ensures that you have all the roots; beware an encircling root system hidden in the soil media. My plant is/was container grown at 1G (about 24", one side branch) when I acquired it in 2001. Now, 5 years of growing hence (including severe drought years in both 2001 and 2005), Mr. Franklin Tree is a robust 12' tall. It would be a bit broader/fatter if I didn't have such overzealous viburnums. What I DID do is till up the whole area where these woody plants were installed. This aids in root growth/extension, as well as moisture penetration. I will be attaching a picture to the end of this post.

For your site (well shot and explained, BTW), I'd recommend a simple circle of drip hose around your new acquisition. That way, you can hook up the hose to it and add water at a gentle rate specifically to the target plant without disturbing the rest of your creation.

To harp on one of your points: it appears that there is a bit of a grade change from the aspect of your photo position and the pool deck. Hence, if the new tree is planted at roughly the same elevation as the former basswood, you will have no trouble enjoying a view of it over the top of the Hydrangea quercifolia and the Buddleia davidii, unless you are sitting rather near the fence.

OK, you didn't ask me for design help. You shouldn't be overly concerned about growing Franklinia alatamaha, in my humble (!) opinion. There are far more finicky plants. I'd also search a little more for local sources of this fine small tree; I can't believe that there aren't nearer opportunities than shipping cross country.

Note from the picture that Franklinia alatamaha is perfectly capable of revealing its stress with an amazing array of fine fall foliage flavors. And JBs hang out just long enough to be an emerald asset.

It's backdrop is a collection of Viburnum dentatum clones; there's a Syringa reticulata 'Ivory Silk' to the right.