Photo by Melody

Perennials: Helleborus - what is it doing?, 1 by mcgina

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mcgina

In reply to: Helleborus - what is it doing?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Helleborus - what is it doing?
mcgina wrote:
Wow, i think i'd better start selling seeds instead of plants - definitely easier to carry!

I bought seed from Gisela Schmiemann (google her) in the early 90's - all Ballard Stock - she used to do a small mail order trade but i think now she just sells to growers (mainly pineknot- google that too) and would ship right after harvest so seeds were fresh. i had fantastic germination, beautiful plants but as they were open-pollinated, not always true to color. these plants are the backbone of my own breeding stock. seeds purchased from will mclewin in january of 1999 haven't germinated yet - and i've stopped hoping

graham birkin, of graham's hellebores, is a UK grower and brings plants to northern va every year and ships from there. they are lovely, big healthy plants that, depending on customs, arrive quickly and in great condition. his doubles have alot of torquatus blood and are therefor smaller, slower and i think less vigourous than the orientalis doubles

attached is picture of one of my babies, the pollen parent came from elizabeth strangman (google) and it took me 3 crosses and ten years to get but i think worth it.