Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Stuff I'm trying to start from seeds and cuttings, 1 by RWhiz

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright RWhiz

Subject: Stuff I'm trying to start from seeds and cuttings

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Stuff I'm trying to start from seeds and cuttings
RWhiz wrote:
Here's a pic of some stuff I'm trying to start from seeds or cuttings.

I'm not the world's greatest propagator because I'm too lazy I guess. As long as I can get a few seedlings up to sapling size, I'm happy.

Anyway, here are a few things I'm growing:

Pelophorum dasyrachis
Caesalpinia peltophoroides the famous Brazilian tree 'Sibipiruna'
Cassia moschata
Tabebuia roseo-alba
Caesalpinia decapetala
Markhamia zanzibarica
Calliandra falcata
Lonchocarpus sericeus
Cordia sebestena
Erythrina falcata
Deplanchea tetraphylla

I start the seeds in those plastic covered pans you get from baked chicken at the supermarket. I have a big, old aquarium I keep them in with fluorescent lights. After they get to a certain size I pot some up and keep them in the aquarium for a few weeks more until I run out of space. Then I sit them out on the balcony. I have a fair amount of losses because of my lackadaisical way of doing it--but I'm only really interested in having a few of each survive anyway.

Down in the 'incubator' right now I have some Radermachera hainanensis, Erythrina poeppigiana, and Erythrina sandwicensis seedlings and just this past weekend a couple of Petrea aspera and Petrea glandulosa seedlings have come up. I'm really excited about those.

Some of the things I've already put in the ground from past efforts are Peltophorum africanum, Peltophorum pterocarpum, Colvillea racemosa, Delonix regia, Schotia brachypetala, Schotia afra, Bolusanthus speciosus, Delonix adansoniodes (decaryi), Delonix pumila, Xanthostemon chrysanthus, and others. Most of this last group have survived at least one winter in the ground--a couple have been up to four years in the ground.

As you can see, virtually all of these are tropical flowering trees. So far I've been modestly successful in getting them into the ground and then keeping them alive.

The other part of this pasttime is finding and acquiring the seed. Sometimes one gets nonviable seed but that's just part of the effort. It's exciting when you see something first come up.

-Ron-