Specialty Gardening: Bulbs in containers, 1 by tabasco

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tabasco

In reply to: Bulbs in containers

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bulbs in containers
tabasco wrote:

Hi, Herbie-- I know what you mean about the deer and other critters, that's why I started my bulbs in containers too.

You might want to look at another bulb thread we started in the fall http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/467009/

where we discussed bulb planting in pots...There are different methods to try out, but...

Here are some tips I've learned that may help you, too...

1. Big pots are better than little ones---about 10 or 12 inches deep and 8 to 10 inches around are my favorites. You can always go bigger.

2. I used Miracle Grow potting soil. The ones planted with Scotts brand were noticeably less vigorous.

3. I tried two or three different kinds of bulbs in the same pot. You can 'layer' them in with big bulbs at, say, 6 inches deep, and little bulbs like Muscari or Chinodoxa at 3 or 4 inches deep on top.

One combination you may want to try is 'Gypsy Queen' Hyacinth with 'Apricot Beauty' tulip and 'Salome' daffodils. You will need a big pot (about 12-14 inches across). These all are supposed to bloom together and will make a nice show. They did for me.

4. I planted them according to directions for depth--about 5 or 6 inches deep and watered them in. For instance, about 5 or 6 Hyacinth bulbs in a 10 or 12 inch pot (with some little bulbs, too.)

Then I covered all my pots with a clear plastic painters' tarp and set them in a protected spot outside for the 'cooling' period. If it was bitter cold, I insulated with straw bales and such (you may have to do this in upstate NY). I watered occasionally. Then when it warmed up and the sun came out more I moved them out into the sun (covered with tarp to keep excess moisture out). When bud tips appeared I uncovered and set them in full sun to bloom.

I did not 'force' these bulbs for bloom at Christmas. The method I used was more to protect the bulbs from critters and too much bad weather. This particular method wouldn't work if you wanted to have Hyacinths in January....If you wanted to do that, plant early in the fall and after the 14 week cooling period you would bring them into a warm sunny location and they would bloom maybe 6 weeks later... If you have an extra refrigerator that would be perfect to use for this.

I put the pots around my patio and enclosed porch to display them.

Good luck. Let's see some pictures of your project. I love Hyacinths too and will plant more this fall for sure. Especially the Gypsy Queen.

Thanks. t.