Hybridizers: And so it begins..., 2 by pmmGarak

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pmmGarak

In reply to: And so it begins...

Forum: Hybridizers

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of And so it begins...
pmmGarak wrote:
So finally my first homemade interspecific hybrid Digitalis is flowering - the variegated lutea x purpurea. I don\'t actually think random passers-by will notice it as something special, but for me it is of course. The plant seems rather weak to me, I definitely hoped for more hybrid vigor. In Digitalis it\'s said that flower form of hybrids is dominated by the seed parent, so Lutea x purpurea should be different to purpurea x lutea. My hybrid flowers generally resemble the seed parent (see comparison on pic 3) but are somewhat paler, slightly wider and a little big bigger, though far from purpurea size. most obvious sign of purpurea is, besides the hairiness of the leaves, the few random purple spots inside the flowers. Pollen parent was a whitish purpurea, so there\'s none of that purplish tinge mentioned in literature for that cross. maybe I should try to repeat this with the bright purple purpurea i\'ve grown from a forest site nearby - don\'t know if the parent was a true wild form or a garden escape, but the color is strong in that one ;-)

I have another plant which i\'m quite sure to be a hybrid, i\'ll report when I can be sure - that is when the flowers open...