Roses: Need Rose Suggestions, 2 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Need Rose Suggestions

Forum: Roses

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Need Rose Suggestions
DonnaMack wrote:
East side morning sun is close to idea for roses, so location is not an issue!

My first recommendation, in the first two pictures: (I have had it for seven years, and actually moved it to my new home)

Marie Pavie, a polyantha. I have two. It gets no disease, is zone 4 hardy with no protection, has a lovely scent, is relatively thornless. It's bulletproof. And it blooms from early May into December. To prune it, use a hacksaw or pruners. The flowers are in clusters. It is frequently referred to as everblooming.

Comments from High Country Roses:
Ratings: Hardiness Zone: 4
Approximate Size: 2' to 4' tall by 2' to 4' wide
Bloom Type: Small, Double
Color: White
Bloom Repeat: Continuous
Fragrance: Moderate

Polyantha (Alphonse Alégatière, France, 1888).

Marie Pavié is a reliable and versatile performer in even the toughest gardening situation. Clusters of 1 1/2" white blooms grace this plant through the growing season. The compact size (up to 4') in combination with its nearly thornless canes makes for an ideal container plant or landscape accent. It's pink twin, Marie Daly, is an Earth Kind rose, so MP is considered to be one. In my opinion, the biggest payoff for the least work.

ARS Rating: 8.8

2nd recommendation, 3rd picture:

Gruss an Aachen

It also blooms all season, May into December, and morphs in color from pink to peach to white. I have had them for ten years. You want to hug them. They can get a tiny bit of blackspot. You want to hug this rose.
Hardiness Zone: 5
Approximate Size: 3' to 4' tall by 2' to 4' wide
Bloom Type: Large, Very Double
Color: Salmon Pink
Bloom Repeat: Good
Fragrance: Moderate
ARS Rating: 8.3

Third suggestion (4th Pictures)
'Sea Foam', also an Earth Kind Rose. Grows wide, as you can see in the pic from my old house. This is two. They grow very wide. Nice scent. Blush pink buds form clusters of white flowers. Thornier than the others. Another Earth Kind Rose I have had for year. Glossy foliage - and absolutely no disease. I grew this in both places too!

Hardiness Zone: 4
Approximate Size: 2' to 3' tall by 2' to 4' wide
Bloom Type: Medium, Double
Color: White / Light Pink
Bloom Repeat: Continuous
Fragrance: Light
ARS Rating: 8.1

If you don't mind width, this would be my second choice after 'Marie Pavie'

Last recommendation:(last picture)
Morden Blush, from the Canadian Explorer program. Zone 3. Another everbloomer. It's a changling. In bud it looks like a tea rose, and then apparently turns into an old garden rose.

Hardiness Zone: 3
Approximate Size: 3' to 4' tall by 3' to 4' wide
Bloom Type: Large, Double
Color: Light Pink
Bloom Repeat: Good
Fragrance: None
ARS Rating: 8.1

They do not require spraying, they don't get too tall, they all bloom their brains out, they are all hardy, zone 6 is fine, and I have had great performance from all of them for at least 7 years.

I recommend these to people who want an easy rose but don't want Knockouts.

Edited to change Marie Pavie bloom time to extending into early December, not September as previously noted.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2017 11:22 PM