Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pistil

In reply to: What\'s Blooming #3

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What's Blooming #3
Pistil wrote:
Loving the pics, keep them coming!
Loretta- I do grow the Commelina on purpose, have been trying to do a true blue garden (not much success). The flowers are that perfect true blue, and there are lots of them for over 2 months in the summer. After I planted it I found out some Commelina species are invasive. This one may turn out to be invasive, I am getting volunteers, even 40 feet away from the plant, but there are not millions, and they only grow about 4\" the first year, so are easy to pull out. We shall see...
Wee- interesting your monkshood have not flowered yet, mine have been flowering for over a month, in fact some are about done, like the one in that photo. I still think you might try the Cotula, in a little pile of gravel or in a brick or gravel path, who knows, it might be fine. It certainly has been one of my better experiments from High Country Gardens, a place that specializes in plants for the high desert!
Rouge- \'Lemon Queen\' is a great plant. I also have \'Dakota Queen\', but I think I will have to kill it. It is spreading too fast, and now is making babies...LQ seems to be sterile as far as I can tell, but don\'t tell the bees that, they love it!
Mipii- The Cotula and Zauschneria do look good together. As you can see they are planted in gravel and rocks, not my usual clay. I just planted the Zauschneria this spring, it struggled at first in our long gloomy chilly weather (like all Californians), now looks fine. I really hope it survives, this variety is on the \"Great Plant Picks\" list for the PNW. I got some Zauschneria seeds from duane in a swap and I am going to try wintersowing them this year.

OK now you have sucked me into shrub photos, which I resisted before (well I guess the rose is a shrub too).
Cestrum \'Orange Peel\'
Hamamelis \'Pallida\'
Mahonia \'Soft Caress\' bloomed last year in winter, this is strange.
Skimmia japonica
Hebe \'Blue Mist\' and a dwarf Hyssop I grew from cuttings, blooming in the pot (need to plant these).