Perennials: What\'s Blooming #3, 2 by Loretta_NJ

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Loretta_NJ

In reply to: What\'s Blooming #3

Forum: Perennials

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of What's Blooming #3
Loretta_NJ wrote:
Those castor beans are very dramatic. We use it near the entrance at our community garden and it always gets some attention. I don\'t have a great picture of it though.

Brenda, you are lucky to have all that celosia reseed. I have trouble keeping that plant going mostly I think because they are already rootbound in the flats.

There\'s my shady deutzia, probably Nikko, to the bottom right, grown over by the ginger in pic 1. I really can\'t move it without destroying the ginger which has priority and it stays small and blooms delicately enough to make me happy. I know I am sacrificing the big show it can put on. I could always pick up another if I have a spot. That is one plant that is always leftover in the fall.
There is hardly any chocolate left on the Eupatorium rugosum that reseeds like a weed but I can\'t resist leaving a few around. You might notice next to it I picked up Whirlwind anemone which happens to be offered this fall and 50% off. After I bought this, I did find Honorine Jobert, my other favorite which you say is a better survivor so maybe I\'ll consider going back for it. I\'m a sucker for white anemones. Last try though.
Angelica gigas going to seed, another weed that I let stay.
A couple of late blooms on Sally Holmes. This one I dug out of deep shade this year and have high hopes for it becoming spectacular over the next couple of years.
Do any of you overwinter Lantana?
Finally my bottle gentian. I wish that one would reseed. The Gentiana acaulis I picked up in the spring browned and disappeared some time during the summer.