Photo by Melody

Tropicals & Tender Perennials: Why do my Rexes always die?, 3 by hcmcdole

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: Why do my Rexes always die?

Forum: Tropicals & Tender Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Why do my Rexes always die?
hcmcdole wrote:
[quote=\"quercusnut\"]I live in TN. I can grow canes just fine. Have a great soil mix.
But my Rexes and most rhizomatous just fade into oblivion.
Could it be hot temps? Or what?
Please help.[/quote]

Rexes can be fussy but once you learn their traits and how to care for them, they are as easy as a cane begonia. Since a rex is a rhizomatous then you can treat them similar with the exception that rexes may go semi-dormant in winter so cut back on water when they defoliate.

I guess we need more information about your growing conditions and watering habits first. I find most rexes and rhizomatous are planted in too much peat and deep pots. I would change any heavy peat mix out for a faster draining mix to ward off rot from too much wetness. I prefer bowl pots (pans) to standard pots but they are a bit more difficult to find. Are you growing indoors or out in warmer months? What kind of light do you provide in winter? It took me a lot of years learn what is best for my rhizomatous and rex begonias and wish there was a very informative site on what to do other than grow in a perfect greenhouse with careful watering. This should not be rocket science in other words. I still lose begonias every year - summer and winter (most in winter from not enough light or too much water) but the successes have become much more than the few failures.