Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #21 Practical Matters for Phsically Challenged Gardeners, 2 by seacanepain

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright seacanepain

In reply to: #21 Practical Matters for Phsically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of #21 Practical Matters for Phsically Challenged Gardeners
seacanepain wrote:
Wow, I had a lot of catch up reading to do. I need to get my own screen reading program. You guys have been busy.
The dyslexia has been kickin\' my ass. Kay thinks it is all the stress . Faith lost her battle with the brain cancer and Tigger has been pushing to return to L.A. I don\'t believe she is stable enough to cope there, but she is a 40-year-old woman and I can\'t tell her what to do with her life. I caved in and bought her a ticket back for her b\'day. I do have to admit I have been sleeping a little better and feeling more energetic since she arrived in CA safely. I didn\'t have insomnia or problems with dyslexia during my tours in the Middle East. If I can handle that, it seems like I should be able to handle a grown woman who acts like a 16-year-old. Kay laughs and laughs when I say that. It is hard to credit that Tigger and ultra-responsible, conscientious Melinda are sisters. It is like the Tigger song says. \"Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy. Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun. The most wonderful thing about Tigger is she\'s the only one.
Fenny has a perimeter collar. My mistake was disengaging the shock function after she learned her boundaries. The warning beep is all the reminder she needs 99^% of the time, but she is some sort of hound. When a deer, rabbit, fox, coyote, bobcat comes into her territory, she is going to chase it and she will totally ignore the beeping collar. It\'s coming back from these chases that she gets into trouble. Nadi will not stand for my engaging the shock feature until Fenny has fully recovered. She is afraid the shock itself will induce a seizure. She chaperons Fenny for now whenever Fenny goes outside.
Love the tile work. My nephews in CO do that kind of thing commercially. It is heavy labor.
I\'m with Carrie regarding carpet and wheelchairs. After pulling all the carpet in this place up, I\'m not too keen on the cleanliness factor of carpet either. I couldn\'t believe how much sand there was in the padding and on the floor beneath. It was so much sand, it looked like we lived right on the beach. That surprised me because it was a beige color and look good on the surface.
Nothing but the absolutely necessary home improvement projects for us. We are focused on paying everything off. Counting the days. If I can keep up the occasional double payments, it will be about two more years before the property and buildings are free and clear.
Awesome new ride, Carrie! The heated mirrors and stuff sound like useful features in your part of the world.
Don\'t forget those wonderful exotic tape worms some MS patients are going for. LOL. I\'m afraid to read too much medical research. I\'m afraid the pain will talk me into some stupid new procedure or drug that I will live to regret.
Enjoy your DG/ATP dual citizenship, Carrie. I do. It is going to take all the web-based plant information sources I can find to get everything labeled again.
The garden is a mess. In addition to the year of neglect, we are totally reorganizing. Giving away as much as we can and putting what we are keeping into nursery pots. I had to move fast to have a road in and out. Moving plants that were in the way of the new driveway without the time to label and organize. With the bulbs especially, we don\'t know what\'s what. I just put things into whatever ground was available. The ground was extra fertile and the bulbs multiplied like crazy. We\'ve landscaped my SIL\'s house in central Florida and are packing more up for Melinda, Kay\'s daughter who lives in Utica. We are considering landscaping my SIL\'s house in VT, but Kay isn\'t sure what would survive up there beyond the iris. It\'s a historical landmark house. There is probably a list of period plants we would have to stick with.
The next year or more it will be pot, identify and label the bulbs and perennials and plant more bee friendly wild plants, trees and shrubs that need minimal input. Perma-culture in other words. With the exception of the peaches, most of the fruit and nut trees can look after themselves.
It is almost time to harvest honey and I will need to either set up a new hive or add another super to the existing hive. ( A \"super\" in apiary speak is another level on the hive, another pantry for them to store their honey in.
Beyond that, it is weed and water, water and weed. Nature is watering enough to keep in-ground plants happy, but watering is a daily chore with the pots.
Kay now insist we need to take the weekends off. I\'m not sure how we will manage it all with a 5-day work week, but we will give it a try.
I\'ve seen more of the local beaches than I did when I lived in the city limits of Panama City Beach. I don\'t know if we can pull this off, but we will enjoy the attempt more by taking some time for ourselves.
It was a picnic at the Dothan Area Botanical Garden last weekend, not the beach.