Photo by Melody

Bulbs: What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?, 4 by gemini_sage

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gemini_sage

In reply to: What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?
gemini_sage wrote:
Ssgardener, I'd never seen autumn crocus growing here either (newly planted or naturalized). I suspect they could be found at historic homes- seems they were once more popular than they are nowadays. Brent and Becky's is the only vendor I've ever seen selling them.

Donna, C.speciosus would make a good marker plant- it just occurred to me they have spring foliage and then the autumn blooms, so they mark a spot at both of the most vulnerable times when I'm most trowel happy, LOL. I tried another variety this fall called C.speciosus 'Conqueror' with larger, deeper violet colored blooms. They're positioned where they don't get morning sun and have been slower to come into bloom, but they're starting. Not sure what I think about them yet; they are taller, which is kind of awkward looking. Maybe when more blooms are open it will look better. I got some more photos yesterday while the sun was shining, I'll post a few once I've retrieved them.

Monday afternoon I expanded the bed of fire colors a bit to accommodate the new daffodils. That bed is pretty full of bulbs, and although I thought I had the blank spots well mapped, I still ran into some bulbs when I tried to dig, so I went the safe rout and took more useless lawn.

I planted 5 each of the following daffodils: gold trumpets, Primeur, Kingham, Grower's Pride, Marieke, and gold/red-orange large cups Red Aria and Princess Alexia and yellow/orange jonquilla Puppet. Below are some images of the fire bed from this spring.