Photo by Melody

Bulbs: What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?, 3 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?
DonnaMack wrote:
I wonder if anyone else had the problems with triandrus daffodil that I had. I started with old House Gardens and ordered the ones I have already mentioned - Mt. Hood and Mrs. Backhouse. (I never had to order any more Mt. Hood, because they increased in a way such that I feared they would come knocking on the front door and tell me to get out. At former house 5 turned into about 50. I also wanted triandrus daffodils, so I ordered Thalia, and later Tresamble, and finally Silk Shot - all from the best - Old House Gardens, but Thalia melted out after the first year and the others never appeared. I think there was something weird in my soil.

I also got, well let's just say fooled. White Flower Farm trumpeted (pun intended) that they had Vie en Rose, which they said was a Division 1 trumpet. I paid $19 for 1- TWICE! Not only did not return, but Brent and Becky put them in their catalog for far less money because Vie en Rose is a Division 2 long cup. That made me very wary of buying anything "new" in its's first season.

One old combo I did at home was that of the multiflowering Trumphs Happy Family and Weisse Berliner. The second is possibly White Upstar (a substitution) with White Trumphinator. Once I realized that lily flowering and double late tulips bloomed simultaneously, I was all about iT.

Then I would take my bulbs from that season and mix them all together in other beds. One of my favorites was White Trumphinaor, Mount Tacoma, Angelique and Maywonder, the latter of which has disappeared from commerce (the dark rose one in the third picture).

Then I would pull out Happy Family and Weisse Berliner and put in gladiolus Matchpoint, and let nicotiana alata, verbena bonariensis and mirabilis jalapa seed. Then in the fall, the tulips went back.

And Critterologist, I agree with you about the hibiscuses! It was tough dragging them into the house!