Photo by Melody

Bulbs: What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?, 4 by gemini_sage

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gemini_sage

In reply to: What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?
gemini_sage wrote:
Oh I feel your pain about the violets- I'm in constant battle with them. I made the mistake the first couple of years here of thinking "violets are pretty, I'll leave them"....was that ever a huge mistake!

I hadn't realized the proper name of it, but just looked it up and I too purchased Campanula takesimana Bellringers last year. Didn't realize how aggressively it spreads till this year, but it is in a dry semi shady area where I'm mostly glad to see it. Of course this is only year 2, so I may regret it yet, but they sure are lovely. I planted it near 5 tubers of Cyclamen persicum and it is invading the Cyclamen spot, but I'm thinking those Cyclamen aren't going to establish well in this climate- only one leaf has emerged so far. My Campanula is rosy pink, but I saw violet colored ones this spring and wish I had gotten one.

After several days of rain the sun is shining and it is nearly 60F, so I'm back into bulb planting. Just finished planting the pink bed with some tulips and hyacinths I had dug in late spring and a few white daffodils and corydalis that are new this year. Below are some pics of the pink bed this past spring. The tulips are a 3 variety blend of pink late singles from Colorblends. Last year I planted them all together, but masses that size look out of place in my garden of little patches of this and that here and there. This time I separated them into 5 smaller clumps throughout the bed. The only thing left to plant in that bed are 100 Crocus tommasinianus 'Roseus' that haven't arrived yet from Van Engelen.