Photo by Melody

Bulbs: What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?, 4 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?
DonnaMack wrote:
I went nuts with allium last year - 20 karataviense, for example, lots of chionodoxa, camassia semiplena under a paperbark maple, lots and lots of lilies, including some I had always wanted to try, like speciosum Uchida and platyphyllum. The trick was acidifying the soil. I grew Uchida before but this time it was four times as tall! I am being relatively retrained this year:

20 anemone blanda in white, a Griesbach Tetra Pink and a small, for me order from Brent and Becky: 10 allium Purple Sensation (I was given three and they are wonderful!), Tulips White Trumphinator, Angelique, Perestroyka and WP Milner, allium oreophyllum, and leucojum Gravetye Giant. I dig up my tulips so I have lots from last year.

And I was incredibly "gifted". I received wonderful calla bulbs and, most astounding, abyssinian glads from a friend for whom the season was too short. Enough for three clumps! Yes, I had to dig them up but wow! They started blooming in August and were still blooming (lots of secondary buds) when I dug them up today.

I put the camassia semiplena under my acer griseum. The rose in this picture is Stanwell Perpetual. What a honey! I just love it. No care! Beautiful and scented and still blooming!

As as part of my philosophy of who needs grass, on the parkway is Salvia Mainacht (grew it for master gardeners and they actually made me remove it), Salvia Rose Sensation, an improved salvia Rose Queen I got for 3 bucks at the end of last season, and the rose on the right is Morden Blush. To the left is Kathleen Harrop, and you can see the stuff from the previous picture in my yard. On the other side is also peony Cornelia Shaylor in it's first year of bloom!

You know, it broke my heart when I had to leave my garden behind. But I only moved in three years ago, and I am able to recreate lot of what I couldn't take. I guess I know more - things are really taking beautifully. And it is really clear to me when I take pictures that I am a cool color gal - all that pink and purple and blue.

The last picture is orienpet 'Blueberry Crush". I have to take care of it because I only got one and I got it from Faraway Flowers, and she sadly is no more. I had it in a really bad place year one, moved it, and it rewarded me with a display that took my breath away!

Forgive me for going on and on! I LOVE this stuff (bet you can't tell)!

I can't wait to see your bloom next year. What you have from last year is truly spectacular.

Always good to hear from you, Neal.