Communities > Forums

Image Copyright virginiarose

In reply to: September Blooms

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of September Blooms
virginiarose wrote:
Thank you Mipi!
Looks like the hurricane will go off to the north but still lots of flooding from this stalled out cold front. Our parking lot flooded at work today but was gone down by the time I got off. Thank you for your prayers especially this weekend when the tides will still run around six feet above normal, and it is still raining.... :(

Genna, I agree with Mike about amending your soil but there is an easier and cheaper way. Use your leaves that fall from the trees, you can just add them to the beds like mulch, leaf mulch and let it decompose over the winter, keep adding them to the soil because they retain moisture and they break down into soil. If you add Milorganite they will break down faster. Here is link to give more ideas and information.

http://www.biggranite.com/benefits-of-using-leaf-mulch-for-y...

Thanks Mike, we are finally getting some real fungus free asters, I thought Purple Dome was nice too but I accidentally killed it. PD was more compact and shorter like a mound and the color was wonderful. I am looking for another!

Firetail is nice and I love the Nicotina growing in a crack and the Dahlia, I always had a soft spot for the cactus dahlia (flower having a bad hair day) but they do not do well here. A neighbor gave me a Cleome a few years ago and cleomes were popping up on the opposite side of the yard, the birds love the seeds and drop them everywhere and baby cleomes everywhere. It had to go but oh so pretty!

It is not cold enough for calla lilies here but I did have a pineapple lily one time. It was mostly leaves and the flower only lasted a week or less. I thought it was a waste of dirt. Hopefully yours will be better than mine there are many different kinds.

I believe we were talking about the Poker Lily one time and I told you about 'Lola' and she gets 5-6 feet tall, here is the pic! I will look for better one soon.