Specialty Gardening: How much fertilizer to use?, 3 by Mothi

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Mothi

Subject: How much fertilizer to use?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of How much fertilizer to use?
Mothi wrote:
I am currently using Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6. How much fertilizer do I use daily in a watering can that holds approx. half a gallon of water? (picture of my plants listed below if need to know what kind of plants) Cacti use different dosing and frequency? What about my other plants? snake plant. christmas cacti. air plants.

I have been using approx. 0.3-0.4 cc/mL of Foliage Pro per full watering can in the morning and just a quick watering in late evening with no fertilizer. Am I over doing it? Under doing it? Is ok? I would prefer not to kill my plants over time nor waste excess product. (I am using 0.1cc/mL daily for my outdoor cacti and a few times a week only for my indoor snake plants.) What is optimal?

----------------------
I also want to thank this forum for teaching me much more about container gardening than I ever thought was possible. I am slowly converting to using gritty mix and 5-1-1 mix for my indoor and outdoor plants. Below are a few of them.

1. Plumeria and 2 Maples (the one on right only had 3 leaves when I bought it) - in 5-1-1
2. Unknown red flower. Using store potting soil and has been attacked multiple times by caterpillars, but has kept coming back and blooming hard for 2-3 months thanks to almost daily use of the above fertilizer.
3. Lewisia. First attempt at gritty mix. (Too coarse.) Once cacti didn't survive. Learning experience. Have since bought 1/4 screen, but rather not mess with this for now. Mix is heavy for hanging pot. lol
4. Indoor plants. Umbrella plant finally surviving with first attempt at 5-1-1 soil mix (too coarse but is doing fine). Baby snake plants in gritty mix. And baby christmas cacti in 5-1-1. Larger snake plant not repotted yet into gritty mix. And my 3 air plants. :)

Those are the plants that I am trying to figure out dosing of fertilizer for.