Hydrangeas: Hydrangeas freezing? , 2 by firstyard

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright firstyard

Subject: Hydrangeas freezing?

Forum: Hydrangeas

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Hydrangeas freezing?
firstyard wrote:
I have 2 hydrangeas in large pots in my back yard. To the best of my memory, they are Endless Summers.

Although I did get one bloom this year (on the larger one), other than that, they have not bloomed for several years. I have to admit, I have not taken good care of them - some years, I didn't take care of them at all. Some years I have pruned, some years I haven't. Some years they got a little fertilizer, some years they didn't. Same for watering (some years they only got rain). I really don't know how they have even survived.

But the thing that makes me think they might be freezing each winter is that the leaves always start growing from the base of the shrub. It's like it's starting all over every year. On my other hydrangeas, leaves grow anywhere on the branches.

I've taken better care of it this summer and plan to continue.

2 questions: Do you think it is freezing in the wintertime and if so, how do I prevent that? I've heard of people wrapping blankets around containers - hoping there's an easier way.

Here are 2 pictures in case seeing the size helps. (Disregard the middle one - the smallest one. The Endless Summers are the 2 larger ones.)