Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Gardens in the land of rain, Shakespeare, and Happy Potter, 4 by donnerville

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright donnerville

In reply to: Gardens in the land of rain, Shakespeare, and Happy Potter

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Gardens in the land of rain, Shakespeare, and Happy Potter
donnerville wrote:
I would be a happier potter if we had some rain :o(.

Speaking of rain, my visits to gardens in England were occasionally hindered by rain. The most regrettable was my trip to Belton House which was the filming location of Rosings, Lady Catherine de Bourgh’s residence, in BBC’s 1995 mini series of Pride and Prejudice. We had another engagement in the morning so we didn’t get to Belton until early afternoon. The sun was high and the place was crowded. So we decided to tour the house first.

After the house, we went out to the garden. The heavens opened literally 1 minute after I took the first photo of the garden. We had tea and waited till near the closing time, but the rain didn’t stop. So we bought an umbrella at the gift shop and walked around the Italian garden in rain to snap a few photos. There was so much to see beyond the Italian garden. I must go back one of these days.

1. Taken from inside the house through the window. It was still sunny.
2. The only photo taken before rain came. In BBC’s mini series, Darcy ran up these steps after being rejected by Elizabeth.
3. You can see an umbrella at the door of the green house. Guess I wasn’t the only die-hard gardener there.
4. At least no more tourists in my way.
5. The rain stopped 15 minutes after we left the place :o(.