Central Midwest Gardening: September-Preparing for Fall, 3 by brendak654

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright brendak654

In reply to: September-Preparing for Fall

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of September-Preparing for Fall
brendak654 wrote:
I've enjoyed your posts and ALWAYS enjoy your pictures.

Happ the potting shed is a really nice addition.

billyporter - Talking about getting ready for fall - I think you are getting ready to hunker down with all the canning. You've got me beat! And Cider? Oh yum! I enjoyed seeing that you had canned the grapes. I'm thinking a glass of grape juice and a bowl of popcorn (a real treat). I canned elderberries similar to the way you did the grapes. Today I made pomagranate jelly. Only did 6 halfpints with enough left over for sampling. Pomagranates are really expensive unless you find them at Aldi's. I was surprised that you washed the potatoes. NICE CROP! Looks like that could cause them to rot (the washing) - at least I assumed you washed them as they were so nice and clean? I also picked more green beans today - they are yard longs and I plan on canning them (tomorrow) about 8 inches long in the qt jars so they can be used to make green bean bundles.

I'm thinking about taking zinnias & gourds to the farmers market. Wonder if it would be a bust or a bang? What do you think Country Gardens? Looks like you are all about the Farmers Mkt. Plus I have lots of misc peppers.

I've been marking and saving zinnia for seed. They fascinate me to no end. Here are 4 that I have marked for saving seed. At some point I get a little carried away marking the zinnia I want to save for seed. Lots to choose from - what fun.