Hydrangeas: Nice hydrangea tree standard, 2 by hcmcdole

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: Nice hydrangea tree standard

Forum: Hydrangeas

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Nice hydrangea tree standard
hcmcdole wrote:
I had made a habit of buying four JMs (in gallon pots ranging from $15 to $20 per pot) each year and moving those to a 3 to 5 gallon pot. They would double in size in a year so I put those in the ground. I would repeat this each year for a 3 to 4 years so I had a nice little allée of JMs. Some are not as fast growing here as they may in other regions of the country but what the heck. I think if I put them in fuller sun then they would grow faster but I am not in a hurry.

The worst performer is the Full Moon variety - maybe they don't like it as hot as it gets here yet at Callaway Gardens at Pine Mountain (Columbus, GA) they are a fairly nice size.

The first one is one I dug up from my last home and moved. Plopped it in its present location in a burlap bag. It rooted and the rest is history. About 7 feet tall and probably 8 to 10 foot spread. It really needs a haircut. Been there for 11 years and maybe 2, 3 at the last house.

A nice cut leaf at my parents. Probably 15 years old. Full sun.

One of my favorites is also one of the smallest - Pygmy is probably no bigger than 2.5 feet tall but fully covered with bright green leaves.