Perennials: LOBELIA (CARDINAL FLOWER) QUESTION, 2 by nutsaboutnature

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright nutsaboutnature

In reply to: LOBELIA (CARDINAL FLOWER) QUESTION

Forum: Perennials

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of LOBELIA (CARDINAL FLOWER) QUESTION
nutsaboutnature wrote:
I've only grown Cardinalis, but it still took a couple of attempts. My first attempt was with two plants purchased at a native plant sale. They looked great and grew quickly to about 2 ft tall, then one after the other suddenly wilted and died.

My second attempt (from Bluestone) went well, but the first year all I got were rosettes, blooming the 2nd year. I let the seeds drop every year which has slowly increased the numbers. So far I haven't tried dividing or taking cuttings which would probably spread them faster.

The Nepeta bloom beautifully every year. If We continue getting a lot of rain after blooming the leaves start to turn yellow so I eventually cut them down and they start growing fresh green leaves again once the soil dries out.

These pics are my most successful Columbine. It's called 'Clementine Red' and doesn't even look like a traditional Columbine. They're growing in three different beds, but the ones that do the best are in the bed that sometimes drowns in early spring...go figure.