Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners , 4 by jayneth

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jayneth

In reply to: #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
jayneth wrote:
Thanks! :) lol, katie, at your intervention.. I'd love 9 dogs but there's no way I'd be able to manage them in this tiny home! I had an aloe as a houseplant, once.. it lived in a large pot on the window for about 5 years before one of the cats knocked it to the ground while I was out, so I came home to find the poor thing decapitated. o_O

Aww, Zoe's adorable, Agave! :) I love greyhounds. Ghost is my first dog, actually - I had no idea I'd become such a dog person. Still love cats though. To be honest, I'm going a bit nuts on the plant buying, haha.. I realised that Ghost wasn't eating as much of the garden (that "leave it" command is a lifesaver!) just around the time I had some birthday money from relatives, so i guess my brain just went "woooohooooo!" and spent it all. ;) I've probably planted at least 50 different things in there since April. Mostly perennials... and it turns out I've a real fondness for different types of thyme.

I love to look at Cacti, but I get a little anxious around spiky things.. My co-ordination's not great - but it's probably more to do with that time I accidentally stepped on a sea urchin when I was around 17. ;) (On holiday - not many sea urchins off the shores of Scotland, haha.)
Sooo, I'm 35, also have a husband, & no children by choice... I've recently become a part-time bookbinder after leaving healthcare work because of my disability/illnesses...and I'm becoming quickly obsessed with gardening! Oh, and you can probably already tell that I'm a little prone to overusing emoticons/smileys. Hope that doesn't get too annoying.

I've only ever travelled through London, but I'd love to visit there properly one day! My husband has family not far from there, so it shouldn't be too long a wait. :) I'm in Edinburgh, and it's festival time at the moment... thankfully Ghost-beast isn't bothered by firework noises as they happen every night this month!

More pics! You've made me feel all bold, with your compliments. :D
1. Tropaeolum Speciosum / Flame Nasturtium- I gather this is horrendously invasive in some countries, but it manages to survive in a less-threatening way here in Edinburgh, & is still quite hard to track down, so I was very happy to find some for sale at our local botanic garden.
2. Corsican Mint - I'm in love with this little plant. Regular mints do tend to be invasive here, and in a garden my size it wouldn't take long before I had borders full of mint & not much else, so when i found this teeny tiny moisture-loving beauty, I had to get it! It took some nurturing to get settled in (by which I mean, near drowning it every evening), but now it's taken off I think it's here to stay. I have a few patches of it dotted around, and it smells amazing after the rain. :D
3. My two roses are Snow Goose (in the pics from my last post), and this one, Ghislaine de Feligonde.
4. This a native oregano, called 'Tomintoul' - presumably after a town in the north with the same name.
5. I don't know exactly what this is, other than a small type of campanula.. maybe fairies thimbles? Anyway, this one's from our wedding in May, where we had potted plants rather than cut flowers. :)

Oops! I seem to have written a small novel. ;) Thankfully for you folks, I'm off to bed now. Night night, it's great to virtually meet you! x

This message was edited Aug 9, 2015 2:12 AM