Photo by Melody

Caudiciforms: Repotting of Brighamia insignis and Jatropha podagrica?, 3 by David_Sweden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright David_Sweden

In reply to: Repotting of Brighamia insignis and Jatropha podagrica?

Forum: Caudiciforms

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Repotting of Brighamia insignis and Jatropha podagrica?
David_Sweden wrote:
Seems I'm allowed to add pictures now. The last image is from last week, the first two are from this winter but the sizes are very similar.

The 1st image shows the pot size for the Brighamia. Actually when I got it 1½ years ago, it was filled with (peaty) soil to 15mm from the brim. I had problems with mushrooms popping up regularly (and no, I did not water too much). In November I decided to replace the top 5 cm by sand size 2-3mm, and since then I haven't had any mushrooms, and I also think it's better for the stem to be in sand than peaty soil to be safe from rot. When I did this maneouvre, I saw there were no roots in the top 5cm and I'm guessing the store had probably gotten them in smaller pots and "repotted" them using some crap soil with mushroom spores (or perhaps the sand hinders them).

The Jatropha I got over 5 years ago and it's still in the same pot.

On neither of them are any major roots sticking out of the bottom, just some very minor ones and just a few millimeters. I water them when they just got completely dry, which for the Jatropha is every 5 days and for the Brighamia 8-12 days except when flowering, then it needs water every 4-6 days. They are in a sunny window (but usually with blinds in horizontal position when full sun).

This message was edited Jul 26, 2015 9:48 AM