Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015, 3 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015
77sunset wrote:
Good morning all.
I am sitting in the sun again . Its so nice coming straight in the window.
Yesterdat started off cold but turned into a nice cold but sunny dya.
Today is starting off right and may be a bit warmer later. If so, I will sit out in the sun and do a bit of sewing of a few little felt birds and flowers for a mobile .
thanks for the nice comments on my new wall hanging.
This was done just with cutting and sewing all by hand, but the ones I am going to try are done with needle felting which I had never heard of before. It involves using a sharp barbed needle and using it to combine a base and wool laid over it to make a scene or pattern. With the needle punching through, it felts the wool together to the base.
The ones I have seen done on the internet are lovely.

Nev, interesting to see how your alcantera behaves eventually. It seems from the info, there may be a chance of pups. Maybe the plants now living at lower altitudes will decide they can have pups.
Its a frost outside this morning and I am still amazed at the lack of damage my broms have had. The only casualty I can see is the aech La Tigra which has one burnt leaf.
All the others do have some overhead shelter from the eaves and shadecloth.
You cannot see from the pic I posted yesterday of bill Hallelujah, but he and the two with him are out in the open too right below La Tigra.
There is no sign of any frost burn on any of them that I can see.
My lovely orchid that I posted a while back , is also out in the open and it is thriving. The flower stem is nearly all open now with no sign of any damage from the weather.
Wonderful things, our plants.
From that recipe, it looks like I was inadvertently helping the broms as I used to use a similar spray on the spider mites back at the old house. The broms always got hit with whatever I was using, be it insect prevention or fertiliser. I have always also used Seasol everywhere and on everything.
I was being a good friend to the broms and didnt know it....lol

Trish, how lovely that your mum can do her broms inside.
I used to sit in the garage back at the house as it was sheltered from all weather.
It is much nicer for your mum to be able to be warm inside with her broms.
I can understand how she enjoys watching her seeds grow too. Its a fascinating thing to see.
You must post a pic of the girls in their coats.

Teresa. I bet Sugar has a bit of a smile when you have to go out and she can stay in the warm.
Hope your cold soon clears up. Its miserable to have it when you have to be going out.

Brian, how is your shadehouse building going , or have you stopped for while until the weather warms and the family are settled ?
I hope the "old lady" realises you call her that with love...lol
My hubby used to call me his better half and I called him my dishwasher , as he did like to do the dishes...dear man.

Time for another handwarming cuppa and I may go out in the sun when it warms a bit more.

Take care and stay safe.
A few more old pics.

neo perfection..... neo eleuthropetala, neo Hawaiian pectinate
Jean.