Hybridizers: And so it begins..., 4 by pmmGarak

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pmmGarak

In reply to: And so it begins...

Forum: Hybridizers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of And so it begins...
pmmGarak wrote:
Pistil, second photo last post is a freshly opened Nigella Orientalis, not yet a casule - those are even more bizarre (first one on this). I never deadheaded Nigella - I think it's programmed death is so strong that it isn't really worth trying to keep them alive - especially since the capsules are spectacular.

My first Nigella seeds are about to ripen - at least I hope, because I've never seen a nigella to fail developing a capsule - no idea if they're filled. meanwhile the N. Papilliosa/Hispanica (pic2), depending on the source, finally opened - just in time to receive the very last Orientalis pollen. I actually think they're rather blunt compared to the delicate Damascenas. On the damascenas, I found an alternate capsule form (pic3) i'd like to explore - somewhat a pumpkin shape, more deeply notched (right word? ) than normal. It's OP, because I didn't see it could be special before the capsule formed. Well, let's see if it reproduces true to form.

Today I've tried to make Eucomis Leaf cuttings (pic4) - both comosas and one of my bicolors had to sacrifice a leaf. Hope the climate will be OK within this mini-greenhouse - not as damp as a plastic bag could get, so hopefully less chance to get moldy. Soil is a Sand/peat mix, and I've used a standard rooting activator powder. Well, I'm just practicing in case I'd ever hybrizie something worth of cloning...
Once again, only the Bicolors develop inflorescence, so no crossing this year. the pole-evansii seedlings are getting their first real leaf right now, which took quite some time - then again, there are bulbous plants only having one leaf in their first year (e.g. Cardiocrinum), so I'm fine with what I got. think I'll finally have to give up on the Vandermerwei seed - I've kept them moist for 4 months, that's too long for those to stirr.

Speaking about seeds failing: Still no movement on my african gladiolus besides two color forms of Dalenii and one very very week alatus. Still not giving up completely. as some gladiolus seem to be able to completely stay underground their first year. yeah, I know that's only very faint hope...