Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Laughing For Joy #8

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of  Laughing For Joy #8
Amargia wrote:
(Jim)
1-adam-12. Code 7.
I gave up getting DG loaded on my computer system. I will mail my pix to Kay’s and do things that way for a while. Kay’s screen access program uses so much memory; I would rather not store extras like Amargia’s photo album on her system again. You watch, the problem will turn out to be something miniscule and I’m going to feel like a moron when I finally realize what it is, but for now…
I did find a few nice surprises weeding yesterday.
Photo #1: Daylily ‘Dixieland Band’. This is one Debra (lovemyhouse) gave Amargia years ago.
Photo #2: June is late for my mysterious Old Soldiers Garden hedge roses to be blooming. This experiment came out great. We got the start for these roses when an elderly friend asked us to dig up some feral roses that had popped up on a site where ‘Mr. Lincoln’ roses had been removed years before. Kay thinks the ‘Mr. Lincoln’ were growing on ‘’Dr. Huey’ rootstock and those left behind roots became bushes. Most look like the Doc. The shade of red varies more than what I see in photos and one bush produces roses with a single petal layer. DW theorizes that one bush must have grown from seed and an apple rose was the pollen parent. I am content with all the roses blooming some shade of red and enjoy the little variations. When rose bushes have few thorns, are resistant to mildew and black spot, need little maintenance and have that strong, old-fashioned rose scent; who cares about the name? A rose with no name still smells as sweet.
(Jim)