Laughing For Joy #8

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197610/
Come and join us.We have a few medical problems but decided it's better to find the brighter side of life sometimes. Tho we're famous for getting off subject.We manage to come back to topic sometime or other.
Vickie

This message was edited Nov 16, 2011 1:32 AM

(Debra) Garland, TX

Thanks, Vickie. :-)

Midland City, AL

Yeah, thanks for the reminder, Vickie. I need to get my act and the links together and do the same for Practical Matters.
I had a teacher my Jr. year who was a real trip. She had this strange looking skirt (I think it was called a poodle skirt.) that she made girls wear during class if she thought the skirts they were wearing were too short. For the guys showing off their Calvin Klein underwear label, she had rainbow suspenders. I got called down for my off-the-shoulder thing once and had to wear this poncho that was a hundred eye-piercing colors. No self-respecting Mexican would have been caught dead in it.
MK and PJ are both a little out of it. Running low fevers, but so far fighting off the full effects of the flu making the rounds. They still managed to get a lot of house cleaning done while I was gone. I spent a few days with a couple I’ve been friends with a long time. The husband suffers from depression. (Is that a part of having MS?) I was hoping to interest him in gardening as a kind of therapy, but he is very much a city guy. He enjoys animals, however. I took him to the pet shop and the animals seem to lift him out of the doldrums. On Black Friday the humane society is doing a special event to try to get people to adopt their black and dark coated animals. People tend to choose lighter colored animals for some reason. I’m taking him to the event. I think doing volunteer work with the humane society might help him manage his depression better. I’m very glad now I begged and pleaded to keep Fenny from being taken to the pound. She would probably not have been adopted with her bristly black coat and strange eyes. She’s an awesome dog, but some people have a hard time getting passed her looks. Is Dylan's ear better, Vickie? ~N~

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thank you Nadene,Yes Dillen is much better. The ear is still draining a little but the cats have given up curling up next to him. Things are back to normal.
The reason I have black cats and dark dogs(except for Scoot)is i read about people not choosing black animals.
Am glad you spoke up for Fenny too.I love hearing about her.I think it's great too you are introducing your friend to animals. I read its great therapy.Works for me.
The poodle skirts go back to the late 50,s. I wanted one so bad. The one I remember was pink with a black poodle toward the bottom and an embroidered leash up to the waist. Under it one wore those awful starched net petticoats so it would flounce prettily when you walked.Personally I thought the "Sack" dress was the best invention. Oh so comfortable.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I remember poodle skirts--not wearing then myself, but knowing about them as a part of Americana. At my kids' school they have a HUGE Tshirt, and if your skirt is too short or your shorts too slippery or your top too loo low cut, you have to walk around in this tent for the rest of the day. I think it works.

Midland City, AL

I think I remember seeing skirts like that in old Happy Days" episodes. It is the 30's and 40's that have always fascinated me, however. A legacy of my adopted GF introducing me to Big Band music which I really liked.
Last night we had an odd version of the battle of the sexes. We measured to see whether a male or female had the longest hair. There was a guy whose hair had never been cut, but the women took the prize in the end. I learned why some Cherokee still refer to members of the coastal tribes as “the long-hair people.” All that long hair whipping and swirling during dances was beautiful to see, but I’m glad I don’t have to care for it every day.
All eight tribal bands recognized by the state were represented and a few from border areas. That eight tribes stuff confused me at first since we were taught in Alabama history about the “FIVE civilized tribes” and it wasn’t that long ago that I was in school. Over-simplified knowledge is better than none I suppose. A Seminole man teased me that now I was getting to hang out with the uncivilized tribes too. lol. I like hangin' with the uncivilized then. There was a girl about my age who did an amazing version of the hoop dance. I lost count of how many hoops she was managing by the end. Unfortunately, I got so caught up in her performance I forgot I was supposed to be taking pictures.
Photo: The lady who won the hair battle for us.

Thumbnail by Sansai87
(Debra) Garland, TX

Oh, wow. Nadine that looks like a wonderful time.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I always wanted long straight hair....

(Debra) Garland, TX

It is beautiful, isn't it.

I've always had straight hair, sometimes long, always flat and fine. Always wanted springy curls and spent a lot of money I wish I had now on perms over the years. Thankfully, I decided to be happy with what I have a few years ago when I started growing it for donation. Nothing like a purpose to wean one off of that stuff. LOL

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Hi, Dillen, Pookie, Zuzu and all my other four-leg cyber friends. It’s Fenny. I wanted to wish you a great Thanksgiving weekend while our two-leg buddies are sleeping off the meal. (Yeah, yeah, Miss Kitty, even you and Dogwood.).
Isn’t Thanksgiving the greatest thing peoples ever came up with! I scored big this year. A lady stepped on my tail, it didn’t really hurt. But, it startled me and I yipped. She felt bad about it and kept giving me treats to make up for it. She gave me big pieces of turkey and some venison off her plate. Not dropped on the floor or anything! Peoples aren’t really supposed to do that, but no one told her she couldn’t and I sure wasn’t going to. Also, I got to stay inside and help clean up. I picked up after the cooks and diners who dropped things. Don’t you love how messy little peoples are when they eat! I also helped my mistress cut down on the leftovers. (Gravy is very good. Potatoes and corn mush with shrimp in it was okay too. Although, it would have been better with less mushy corn and more shrimp. If peoples offer you ginger-glazed carrots or cranberry sauce, just say “No!”. Trust me on this. Old Tate liked the honeyed carrots, but we all know Tate’s a little weird. As always, Tate worked the crowd and scored lots of treats. She’s got that “poor, sweet old thing” routine down to a science. The nice turkey-and-venison lady christened me “batdog” and even asked if I wanted to come home with her. I thought about it, but my peoples here need me. It would sure be nice if she came back for Christmas dinner though. With her around, I get just as many goodies as Tate.
Wishing you warm beds and good leftovers. Your friend, Fenrira

Thumbnail by Amargia
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Never knew her real name, or forgot! lol, Kay!

mulege, Mexico

Fenny, you is one lucky odg. Our mom wouldn't cook us a turkey so we hid her knee brace. Now we can't remember where - we do live in the moment. There was lots of water falling out of the sky last night. We cuddled with Mom cause it was weird and strange. She went to bed early cause she cut her hand bad. We helped keep her warm and feeling safe. Sure wish we had a big turkey but we got our usual chicken and brown rice and, like always, we shared without much fuss. Jenny and the furballs.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Guess all our furbabies got thanksgiving too.plenty of everything.Fenra is beautiful.
Our electricity went off for a couple of hours last night. My first thought was of an old movie where someone turned on their first christmas lights and the electricity all over town went off.
Nadene, Your get together sounds wonderful.Glad the women won the long hair contest.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Lol you guys are a riot! Katie, I hope your hand is ok; you need to be able to type. Take care of yourself.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone......is this thread still runnung?

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Sheri, Someones always around somewhere. How are you? Are you healed back to normal?
I 've been busy in my container garden. Sure has been nice being outside.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We got back from TX where we couldn't agree on how much AC to use because it was so HOT, to Boston, where we could see our breath in the parking lot. Oh boy, such a big temperature change in such a short time. I mean I've had that when I've chosen it for a vacation but I guess it's kind of overwhelming when combined with the surgery and all the other stressors! Anyway, NOT nice outside in Boston, but cool and my new dogwoood is budding!

The VA authorized fee-basis Physical therapy up to three times a week thru 4/1. a woman from my church is my phys therapist thru Advanced Home Care. I have a bout an hours workout to do at least 2 times daily. My inner core is getting stronger and I am hopeful of getting back to normal within a few months!!

Doing fine, very blessed and all my furry kids are fine too.

Sheri

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That is great, Sheri! I'm a big believer in PT, having been a beneficiary of it many times. It is hard work but it is SO good for you. And you will look like you have a personal trainer.

;-D

Midland City, AL

Hi, Sheri! Thanks for reviving this thread. Do you still have your Dogwood? Lol. Mr. DeKat?

O yes, Mr Dogwood deKatt is alive well and wild when playing with his younger brother, Chester and also his next older sister, Marley. They all do zommies and also have "play fights" that can get very loud at times.

His thread has a pic of him as a small guy and now he's a huge loving 18# big boy!!

Sheri & the house full of furbies
Pookie, Harmony, Sara, Marley, Dogwood deKatt and Chester!!

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Good to hear how you and your furbabies are doing.Prissy,my cat just came in and could'nt find me.Silly thing howls till she finds me.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

it's so amazing to learn how IMPORTANT we are to others, don't you think? I don't feel indispensable at all, but when I was in the hospital, mail didn't get opened, phone calls didn't get answered and apparently nobody slept. I picture my own DH howling because he can't find me!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL

Midland City, AL

When I was feeling bad about not being able to carry my weight around here, Kay said, “So, you are not a gear in the machine anymore. Now, you are the grease that keeps the machine going. Adapt!” lol.
Yesterday, sitting at a stop light, I noticed a sign on the back of a C.O.P.S. pest control truck. It read, “Fear no weevil.” :-) (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

hahaha!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Jim! You mean you are that gooey,slimy stuff that stains everyones clothing?roflol. I could'nt resist! The devil made me say it.
We know what a charmer you are.

Midland City, AL

Gee, thanks, Vickie. ROFL. Is keeping men humble part of the training?
KAY AND Nadine say I’ve gone from having a “deck farm” to a “deck prairie.” The spring veggies were done so I re-planted my sunny deck boxes in zoysia grass. The process of leveling the area around the deck left it bare. I found some Zoysia seeds on sale so I’m starting the new lawn grass myself. Actually, it is still my deck farm. I put some eggplant in the boxes as well. I do think I will tip my hat to ornamental gardening and put coleus and caladiums in the shady boxes. There just aren’t many edibles that will grow in the shade during summer. (Jim)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Correct.....I'm moving to tx to find some sun!

I sure hope you don't end up in the modst of tornados and heavy rains and recort high heat. Hopeing the best for you Carrie!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Me too--fingers, toes, legs, ankles and everything else crossed. Thanks, Sheri.

This is the scary part where we're paying rent and mortgage both, about to apply for Medicaid in TX and lose it in MA. Theoretically it should all work, but theories and real life aren't always lined up.

Oh, I do hope the move goes smoothly, Carrie. Fingers crossed for you.
Finally, Nadi seems to have passed through her frog and toad phase. It is Amargia’s feathered inhabitants she is fascinated with this year. A cardinal has nested just outside her bedroom window. She is as protective of the nest as Mama Cardinal. The nest was built only about chest high, but considering the nest is deep within the depths of one of the ‘Flying Dragon’ orange trees, I think it is as safe from predators as it can possibly be. I can’t imagine anything challenging that twisting tangle of thorns. Nadine and Fenny did in a big, fat Florida wood rat. I don’t think it was after bird eggs, but I can’t say I’m upset by its demise. That could easily explain fruit and bulbs that disappeared from beds near the house. I had never seen such a large one this far north. It is a good thing I didn’t know they were there 12 years ago. With my rodent phobia, I don’t know how well I would have done living in the woods by myself if I had been aware an enormous rat was sharing the woods with me. lol. For some reason, opossums don’t evoke that knee jerk response. It was so large I thought it was a possum. I didn’t jump up on the lawn chair and squeal until Nadi told me what it was. lol.
We harvested the dewberries that we planted to drape over a retaining wall. It was so convenient not to have to hunt them. Jim could harvest them from his w/c. The flavor was excellent. Nadi soaked the crushed berries in sweetened cream and we had them over waffles. Yum!!! k*

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kay, You really know how to hurt a person. Course it's early for mine yet.I'll make up for lost time when they get ripe.
I don't like rats but I hate snakes. So-o-o given my druthers?? My cats hate rats. They consider mice toys.
I need to get outside and play in my plants tomorrow.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ahhh I'm home while DD graduates High School. Just in time for the beautiful dogwood planted outside last mothers day to bloom! We have always wanted something, at least I have. that I could see out the bedroom window, and we have a tradition of buying live flowering shrubs for mothers day. (Mother's Day? Mothers' Day?) This one is a pink (maybe "red") dogwood that's actually pretty common around here. We wanted to buy one; first went to fancy store it was several hundred dollars for a small named cultivar. ended up at Home Depot with a generic brand X dogwood that was larger for under 50. Then of course we didn't get to plant it for a while, now it's glorious!

Oooops, brain malfunction. Not enough caffeine yet. Confusing my websites. I forgot we aren't all Amargia on this site. ~N~

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 6:07 AM

Midland City, AL

Okay, now I'm me. lol.
Carrie, maybe, you will get a cardinal to watch too. Dogwoods are a favorite nesting tree for cardinals. Our Ms. Cardinal made an odd nesting choice. It still seems too low to the ground for safety, but between the thorns and Fenny, it might be her best choice. Squirrels are their major predators. Squirrels are a common site on the forest edge and scampering along the roadside, but Fenny doesn’t allow them in the yard. You always hear that humans and their pets are a danger to wildlife. Some wildlife has evidently learned how to work the system. lol.
Well, the swamp rat put an end to Mama Kay’s talk of going dog-less. Now she is talking about rat terriers. lol. A dog is almost a requirement for life in the country, I think.
Ms. C. is appreciating being against the warm, south side of the house this morning. It is actually chilly. With 90 degree temps so early in the season, we all thought the 2012 growing season would be a scorcher. This will teach us to think. :-)
BTW: I remain Nadine, The Frog Queen. They are still my favorite subjects. I'm simply expanding my realm. ~N~

Midland City, AL

We don’t have any dogwoods. Well, there are some wild ones in the woods, but those are a “no touch.” I think I would like to have a white blooming variety for the Old Soldiers Garden and maybe one for the CanDo Garden.
Went to Harbor Freight today to buy some casters for the deep freeze. (Now that I can move it easily, it might get swept behind and under more often. That’s the idea anyway. When I go to the tool store I always drop by the nursery on my way home. Kay focuses on the new plants and doesn’t ask me how much I spent at the hardware store. (“Hello. My name is Jim and I am a tool and hardware addict.”) My dearly beloved doesn’t think I can be trusted by myself at a tool store. But, then, I don’t think she can be trusted by herself at a plant nursery.
Found a ½ price Easter lily. The tag said it was ‘Tiny Hope,” but it was white,not red. It must have been mislabeled. Probably, why it was on sale. Still a gorgeous find. It will be a welcome sight next year at its natural bloom time of July. Also, found some wooly thyme, New Zealand brass buttons, garlic chives and moss rose.
Did anyone get hit hard by the cold snap? I forgot to push my bottle palm inside. It seems to have survived my neglect, however. Didn’t get cold enough to do any real damage. (Jim)
Photo #1: Mrs. C.’s house.
Photo #2: Today, it was blackberry cake with Dream Whip.

Thumbnail by seacanepain Thumbnail by seacanepain

mmmmmmm...looks so good!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I know, the cake, right? Yummy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.