Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS GOING INTO WINTER 2015, 3 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: BROMELIADS GOING INTO WINTER 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS GOING INTO WINTER 2015
77sunset wrote:
Hello .
Its cold down here and looks like more rain.
We are getting showers, but the wind , although not strong, is very cold.
I guess I should remember its nearly winter.....lol

I know what the problems can be with neighbors and wandering plants.
I used to ask first about cutting or removing, but some people are deaf to anyone elses suggestions, so I resorted to good old Roundup.
It works well, just remember to look surprised when the plants next door die back.Not nice, but better than struggling with plants that wont stay in their own yard.

Teresa, I had to laugh at your comments on planting clematis...
I planted the dreaded clematis Montana once. Knowing nothing about clematis, it looked so pretty along the fence at the Botanical Gardens in Portland.
I brought some pretty fluffy seeds home and luckily, planted them in the same place as a group.
The seeds grew and I pulled all out except two nice strong looking ones.
They sat around for a year ot two, then decided to grow and grow and grow.
Realising I had triffids, I got rid of them.
Had not seen the seed pods on my " dear little" plants but soon found the results coming up everywhere. Took me about 3 years of watching to get rid of them all.
I hope you are feeling more energetic now you have been working for a while. Takes time for the body to adjust.

Nev, sounds like you are getting some of our weather.
I donr see any of your sunshine down here though.
Any sun we get now is very tepid winter sun.
The plants are liking the weather though. A little rain , a little sun, just what they like. .
I know I said I would leave pups until Spring to repot, but looking at them now, they are going to be large adults by the time they get their own pots.
Love the pic of the tills. It would be wonderful to see all the broms in their natural habitat.
I have seen lots of pics of them covering trees in glorious abundance.
I like your brom with all the puzzling colors . It cannot decide which to use...lol
I would keep it just for fun anyway.

Trish, I bet your Mum is having such a great time with her new lot of broms.
Enjoy your time with her on your visit.

Brian, have you started on the new shadehouse yet ?
When hubby and I built the first one, he said I would never fill it...lol
6 shadehouses later, I was still looking for more room.
Its certainly an addictive hobby, gardening. No matter which plants you fall in love with, you simply must have more...

I am off to Hamilton today , so better get moving.
I hope you are all getting the weather you want and if there is any spare warm sun, I'll have it .

pics are my latest new triple brugmansia, my autumn flowering clivia and two tills.
Stay safe.
Jean.