Grass and Bamboo: Question about Maiden Grass descriptors, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Question about Maiden Grass descriptors

Forum: Grass and Bamboo

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Question about Maiden Grass descriptors
DonnaMack wrote:
Yes, Bluttenwunder definitely does this! It's on the left in the picture, with silberfeder to the right. I had never really thought about this! That's brilliant! As a person who likes to cram a bunch of plants into the garden it wasn't an issue for me, but I get it! See below.

I remember now that I found Bluestem. The only catch is that I need a $40 order, and they only have a small Blut, and it's $7.50, so I would have to make up the difference (and find a place to put it!). But going back I can see that they also have larger clumps of stipa brachyhyricha, which I have a nice semi sunny location for, and they also have larger clumps of prairie dropseed, which I wanted to reacquire.

I went back to all of my pictures and then I went to Rick Darke's "Encyclopedia of Grasses for Livable Landscapes" and started looking at pictures and descriptions. See if you like 'Goldfeder' , which is described as a sport of Silberfeder. The picture shows it cascading much like Silberfeder. You are looking for grasses that are described as "lax stemmed". That's the expression he uses to describe Silberfeder's habit.

From the pictures, also have a look at 'Cosmopolitan'. More than 8 feet tall, it is a Miscanthus sinensis var. condensarus. It reaches a height of ten feet. The U.S. National Arboretum imported it from Japan. It is variegated, like Strictus and Zebrinis.

By the way, during my research on this (I do love doing research) I stumbled across an unbelievably complete article on just about every aspect or ornamental grasses that you can possibly imagine.

Here is the link:

http://what-when-how.com/grasses/cultivation-maintenance-gra...