Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Bromeliads - Autumn 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads - Autumn 2015
77sunset wrote:
Good morning.
Looks like just Nev and myself this morning.
Nev, thats interesting about the different hybridisers and their broms.

Yes, vr Joyce was one I bought as a mini and it has stayed a nice size. It now has about 4 pups . vr Scarlet Lady was one you sent me and it certainly is a beauty .

evn if only green when not in flower.
The mini Joyce gets a lovely lemon color all over the top before the flower stem rises. It does not rise as high as some of the bigger vrieseas, but very pretty being all lemon yellow.

Its just as well i dont live in Thailand or anywhere over in Asia with all those fantastic broms. I would be wanting them all.
I like very much, the last one in your pics, even though they are all so wonderful.

At the moment here , I am concentrating on my brugmansias which are all about to burst into wonderful flowers. The broms are sitting quietly , just growing their pups.
I moved a few more plants around yesterday.
I love moving the plants around as the seasons change.
In another month or so, all the broms will be hiding behind the brugmansias for the winter. The pots of bulbs are coming out to the front now. As I always say, gardening is like musical chairs. Plants are forever being moved around.

Teresa, how is your garden doing ?
Did you get any further work done on the damaged areas?

I hope the work front is going well too.

Brian, you have definitely joined the ranks of thr bromaholics...lol
I see large shadehouses in your future..
You are getting a lovely collection and are lucky to be close to some of the great breeders.

Not much more from here. I really must get the camera out again while the weather is fine. The sun is back but winter is sneaking in with the colder nights now.

Hope all our other friends are well.

Still a few older pics today.

pic 1...the alcantereas I had which I sold as they were getting very big.

pic 2... a pup which I kept, from the large alcanterea .

pic 3... another brom which I kept out of curiosity as to what is will grow like.
It was labelled as aechmea Hawaiian pectinata, but it looks more like neo to me. I like the unusual markings and they are getting more pronounced as it grows.

take care
Jean.