Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pistil

In reply to: Put in more Monkshood?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Put in more Monkshood?
Pistil wrote:
Hi rouge-
I have fiddled around just a bit with the Monkshoods. I have been reluctant due to their need for moist soil. It rarely rains here in the summer, and I am a neglectful waterer. My soil is clay. I don't worry too much about toxicity. Lots of plants are toxic but I just don't eat them. I do avoid Euphorbias having once gotten the sap on me, which was highly unpleasant.
I see from my label collection I had tried Aconitum napellus 'Newry Blue' and one just labeled 'Blue'. These died rapidly. I think at one point I also tried 'Bressingham Spire'.
I planted 2 A. napellus 'Blue Valley' by my porch last year. I thought they might do well there. It is a shady (north side) spot and since I do water the planters I thought they might get enough moisture. I really did water them. One seemed to dry up immediately after planting and died within weeks. The other did OK then seemed to get dried up and rapidly turned brown and died. this was not until Sept I think.
I also planted 2 A. arendsii in a much more open spot, better soil. It had been shady but right after I planted them we cut back the hedge on the west side so they were in a rather sunny spot. These ones were neglected. One died immediately, the other seemed OK until late summer, then turned brown and died.
Monkshood reminds me of certain houseplants I have killed, where one missed watering is fatal.
However... I noticed the other day that the 'Blue Valley' by the porch is emerging and looks good (PIC#1). I just went out to photograph it and lo and behold, the other 'Blue Valley' has a leaf (PIC#2), and also the A arendsii (PIC#3)! They look a bit nibbled, hopefully there are some dead slugs nearby!
I will update this thread in the summer, hopefully with gorgeous photos.