Propagation: Heat mat and excessive drying of soil, 1 by RickCorey_WA

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright RickCorey_WA

In reply to: Heat mat and excessive drying of soil

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Heat mat and excessive drying of soil
RickCorey_WA wrote:
>> If they are lightly misty I just keep an eye on them, but if they get kinda beady with water drops, I take them off, let the tray get some air, wipe the dome down and put it back on a little later. If it looks like it needs a little sprits, I spray it lightly first.

That's what I do, too.

>> One thing I may change up next year is not mixing flowers on the same tray. I have put flower seeds together that were suppose to have about the same germination time, but seems like one will sprout way earlier than the other.

That's one advantage of the flimsy "6-pack" tear-able cells. You can very easily tear a tray into 4, 6 or 12 sections. Then each section can be planted with all-one-variety. When one section has several seedlings emerged, you can move that section to another tray with no humidity dome, and maybe to a cooler location.

I even cut up my propagation trays for the same reason. That's a little tricky because you need thin, stiff scissors or a knife plus dexterity. It's easy to slip and tear the side of a cell instead of cutting between cells.

When all the seeds in a section are the same, that section only needs one seed label. But I use mini-blind-slats cut in half the long way as labels, and also to support plastic film above the soil surface.

I happen to have a roll of 18" wide Saran Wrap. Restaurant supply stores have them, and I found one at a Sam's Club or Costco.