Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: OUR BROMELIADS INTO 2015.. , 2 by ctmorris

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ctmorris

In reply to: OUR BROMELIADS INTO 2015..

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of  OUR BROMELIADS INTO 2015..
ctmorris wrote:
Hi everyone. It has been soooo hot here I thought everything was going to fry. It takes all my time to make sure the animals and chooks and ducks are kept as cool as possible. No, I didn't forget the plants either. The sprinklers have been going and it's like a bird sanctuary in my back garden. There's dozens of little spoggies around and they're very uneducated on how to survive the heat. Poor little fellows are out there with their mouths open and then I Put a sprinkler on slowly near them and they know what to do then. I had a really great surprise when I was watering in the SH yesterday. My Ae. fasciata Clara is flowering on the new pup and the bracts may be cream this time. I was so disappointed when the Mumma one flowered and it was pale pink. I hope the little dark purple flowers come out too. I have taken a pic to show you what it looks like now but will take another if and when the flowers come out. Ohhh Nev you had better put my name down for one of the Neo Guinea hybrids, please. Is it a small one? It's beautiful. Glad to hear that you're getting your plants back into order. It's just been too hot here to do much at all. The fires may be 100 miles away but I reckon they haven't helped with the heat. It's drizzling out there at the moment and it has cooled everything down some but we need it to bucket down for a few hours to do any good. It won't be good for the blockies though. The stone fruit will go rotten in the middle and the grapes will go mouldy if the heat stays around. And then there's the threat of Downy Mildew. I wouldn't be a blocky for quids with all the worry. Well I'm going to leave you now as Cameren bought me the special edition of The Hobbit for Christmas and he and I are watching it together. It's sort of the prequel to The Lord of the Rings. I love the scenery and the story line is good but some of the characters are a bit gruesome. Here's the pic of Ae fasciata clara and my Vr. phillipo coburgii. Colleen