California Gardening: Spring Round Up, 2013, 5 by SingingWolf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SingingWolf

In reply to: Spring Round Up, 2013

Forum: California Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Spring Round Up, 2013
SingingWolf wrote:
Awww, risingcreek, I'm sorry to hear about you having to miss out on the RU, but do keep us posted on how you are doing. We're close enough that we can get together at another time. Let me know if you want something, and I'll get it to you, okay? No fun being sick without something pretty to look at.

Give 'em time, Sami. : - )

Dee, I've got room for a echium wildpretti (Tower of Jewels), and it sounds intriguing. I'd like to try a couple of the Fortnight lily is Dietes iridioides, too. I'll put your name on a couple of the Lantana. See photos.

About the banana, I had it in a large pot for at least 5 years before I planted them in the ground in the gh. They did just fine in the pot, and if there was a frost advisory, I just threw an old sheet over it. Some of the leaves got frost burned, over the years, but if it's well mulched at the base of the pot, and you cover it with some kind of frost cloth, it should grow well for you. Right now, it's in a 10 gal pot. See photo. It lost it's leaves after transplanting, but as you can see, it's hard to kill when it's happy. Just let me know if you want it.

It occurred to me, that I have a whole bunch of these light purple iris' to share. See middle photo.

Had some unexpected work yesterday, so I haven't really had a chance to see what is growing wild in the gh or garden. My rotten fids scared me by leaving the yard and not returning when I called them. DH says, that he found them in the back yard, pretending they had never left. I know better because they smelled like they had been rolling on carrion. It's an all day job to give them fids a bath, get them dry, and then cut off their long winter coat. Actually, I'm still working on Spirit, but we both were getting tired and my hands were shaking, so I decided it would be better to quit while we were ahead. : - ) To see before and after haircut, look at the last 2 photos.
One of the kids and I agreed that Spirit had enough hair for 2 Cousin Its. It's best to shave him down now before the foxtails come out in force and besides, with two of them shedding, I'm sure you can imagine drifts of hairs all over the house. LOL! That's taken care of for now, and I'll be able to see what I have for trading over the weekend.

I'll be checking back in to see what's going on, from time to time, so please feel free to speak up, folks! You snooze, you loose!

WIB~
SW