Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: need help choosing shrub, 5 by missingrosie

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright missingrosie

In reply to: need help choosing shrub

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of need help choosing shrub
missingrosie wrote:
Daphne not finicky but after 10-12 years the healthy looking shrub starts to look a little parched and in 4 weeks it is dead. Just like that. But that is not a short amount of time. It needs no fertilizer. Mine lived despite ice storms and snow and freezing. And it bloomed and perfumed beautifully. BEST FRAGRANCE Got another going now. At age 62-- I hope to outlive this one too. It does not like wet feet. It does like to be watered. So well drained and no other care. I built a small mound and planted it.

The mophead I meant is a cypress. I will include a photo. The one closest is in bright light.

Looks great with loropetalum - which also does fine in cold and ice and snow. Once I trained a loropetalum to a tree...THAT did bend in ice storm. Not meant to be tree. Top heavy. There are low...med...types and I had one go to 6-7 feet and about 5-6 wide. The ones in photo will go no more than 2 maybe 3 feet

Another photo is edgeworthia. Can't kill it. In winter ( google it ) branches bare and yellow crysanthamum like flowers appear with no leaves. Profuse flowering. ...highly fragrant... Snow and all-- they bloom

I also like the sweet Betsy but I think needs sun and the damn thing sends shoots up everywhere. Nice maroon flowers. Spicy leaves ....but those shoots....

I just planted a red buckeye needs bright light to sun - no idea how it would behave in your border.
Not good photos. Standing in house. Not dressed. Spent day mulching. Raking. TIRED
1. Loropetalum
2. Edgeworthia ( fragrant winter bloom)
3. Daphne
4. MOPHEAD ( great with purples, plums like loropetalum )
5.Mophead at distance. Creeping Jenny ground cover

This message was edited Sep 6, 2015 6:27 PM