Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - September 2014, 4 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - September 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - September 2014
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Ah the weekends just around the corner, I can smell it lingering in the air and I can’t wait for it to get here, although the week has been kind to me so far and I have been taking it as easy as I can it’s still very tiring when you are not feeling 100% and I do miss the nanna naps in the arvo.

Hi Nev great to hear you are having nice weather at the moment and hope it holds out for your up and coming show on the weekend; how’s the organising going you must be flat out busy at the moment trying to get everything ready, wish I lived closer to give you a helping hand as I am sure it would be very enjoyable and a great way to meet new people.

Nev I do much prefer by far your friends clone of Ae. ‘Blue Cone’ as the flower is far superior looking than the common clone Ae. ‘Cylindrata’ as it is like a beautiful berry ready to burst and it’s colour is so very pretty. Thanks also for posting pictures of Neo. ‘Olens’ to show the different variations possible, I especially adored Pic 5 the most because the green is more of lovely overall yellow and the markings appear more frequent and intense; so to achieve this look could you please tell me if this plant was grown if brighter light as I would luv for all mine to look like that?. I will have to locate mine in the garden to see how they are all doing as they should be coming into flower around now? I also look forward to you possibly getting a name for my Bill. NOID Pic 1 that I posted yesterday, I brought this plant from a little market in Cardwell months after ‘Yasi’ had hit this quiet pretty seaside village; the lady I brought it from did not know anything about it other than she liked the pretty flower it produced. Joe at the time said to me quietly why are you buying it as it does nothing for me and I told him I liked it because it was different to any of the Bill’s I had and that I liked the tough appearance of it’s leaves and was sure the flower would turn out really pretty. Nev I will have to track down a picture of the Neo. NOID I posted yesterday (bright pink one), hopefully I can find a picture of it with no water playing with its colour in the hope of making it easier to identify. There are definitely fine white specs on the leaves if that helps any for now; your eyes were not playing tricks on you at all.

Nev thanks for your feedback regarding mosquitoes, we have that many little frogs that have taken up residence in all my broms that whenever I decide to bring any indoors to display I have to check them for frogs first and relocate them onto another brom first otherwise I have them all jumping around inside and have to catch them before the girls get them as they eat them like juju beans if I don’t wave the girls off in time. Thanks also for emailing your friend on the mosquito topic; it would be great to get some sort of feedback on this specific topic as I have been unable to find any factual information out there so far so would be very interested in his research if he would not mind sharing with us on this forum.

Nev pleased to hear you liked the pic of the Fungus, I am so intrigued by these that whenever we are out and about on holidays I find myself taking pictures of them and decided the last time we went away to look at gathering up enough photos to print and pop into a nice picture frame to display on our walls at home as the different colours and shapes they come in are amazing. I was fascinated by them as a kid and was always on the hunt for them and I am still intrigued by them and I really enjoy stumbling across them during our bush walks etc.

Hi Shirley, Colleen, I hope you are both feeling much better and are resting as much as you can, take care and get well soon, we miss hearing from you both.

Hi Jean our beautiful friend, hope you and the move are going well, pop in when you can for a chat to let us know how everything is going.

Hi Brian, hope you are well, we have not heard from you in a while so I just thought I would check in to see what you have been up to.

Take Care & Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 & 2 - Back garden shots, they have coloured up a lot since these pics were taken
Pic 3 - Neo. NOID???
Pic 4 - Neo. 'Blood Plum'
Pic 5 - Neo. 'Dirty Gerty'