Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: February 2013 - Spring is next month!!, 4 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: February 2013 - Spring is next month!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of February 2013 - Spring is next month!!
shortleaf wrote:
Hehe.. no, it's not good to use up ANY savings, but I don't even want to go there! I can still afford seeds by gawd! Today, I got a packet of Marigold 'Eskimo', they are kinda tall but I'll try to get a short pot or keep them trimmed, at that height I'm guessing the stems aren't too sturdy. I got a photo of the packet, I hope they are okay. Does anyone know if that's enuff seeds to do 2 pots or maybe more? - I figure the pots for the Marigolds will be about 1 maybe 2 gallons in size. I'd like a full look, not all sparse and leggy. I'd like to start them indoors about a month before last predicted frost, maybe mid April?

How about the Witch Hazels in my backyard already getting the little late Winter spiky flower things!? - I got those from the Missouri state nursery thing in 2010, they were and still are quite small, but some are bigger than others, someday, hopefully they'll be around 15 feet tall..

You Menards people just think your so cool! lol I'm just teasing, I wish there was one in town!

Glad to hear your renewing Sally! Your also a good sport!

Boy, somebody needs to tell this 'Key Lime Pie' Heuchera that it's wintertime! - I need to get handy with a rake, I will soon! Other Coral Bells are looking decent too, but not like 'Key Lime Pie'.

Here is a better photo of where I want to put 5 or so pots of Marigolds preferably. - I got a white one but I want to alternate it with a dark flower, (maybe red or purple). Any ideas for this dark flower, I can't find a dark Marigold?

Thank billyp. Thanks, yeah the Bamboo is hanging in there. I went to Heartland nursery today, I'm going to apply for a job there, neat place. Anyway, I saw their Bamboos and I was pleasantly suprised that their running Bamboo P. aureosulchratis (Green Groove), I think that's close on the name, I'm probably off on it. But, I digress, back to being pleasantly surprised, it's a runner and it was in a pot like a regular plant, so it does grow in captivity like that, that was good to see. They only had that for a runner and for a clumper they had Fargesia rufa, they both looked nice. It was funny when I was looking at that runner, I was looking for a disclaimer something like, "here is the plant that will ruin your yard, if it escapes"! They keep Heartland Nursery warm, it was about 70° in the greenhouse, it was pleasant to look around this time of year, they had cacti out, jade plants, Kelanchoes and much, much more. I almost bought a Jade plant, they had 1 gallon pots of them, (and a woody stem about an inch in diameter) for $5.99. But, I need to cool my buying jets on buying plants like that. I need to suffer with my 35 or 40 houseplants right now! lol I don't really want to explain being penniless because I bought plants!

I'm trying to convince my friend here that she needs a deep freezer for freezing food. There's a fridge upstairs and downstairs and the freezers are always full in both! I mean stuff falls out on the floor when you open the freezer! I told my friend, "if the power goes out you can sue for spoiled food, I saw it on some judge show"! We can also root in a freezer! lol

Where'd that juhur go?!

Will

This message was edited Feb 8, 2013 5:04 PM