Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Seed starting spring 2013

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Seed starting spring 2013
Gitagal wrote:
ASPEN---
The "Maya" is a bit daintier than the others--until it decides to show off.
See pictures and commentary below......

How many of you remember this?????? Yes! This IS my "Maya".....
Sept. 2009--when she reached 7'x7' and there was NO way I could ever get her in my house for the winter.
I begged Cylburn Arboretum for 2 weeks to come and get it--sent pictures--told them all about brugs, etc.

Finally they agreed and sent a City-sized panel truck to pick her up. I also gave away my big pink "Souvelons" to them.
They barely fit in the truck--the top was all smushed. The driver said: "I have never been this far out before!"
Meaning--all his driving up till then had beenin the City.

The young man who is responsible for the Greenhouses at Cylburn took cuttings and they grew beautifully,
and were sold the in the spring of 2010 at their Market day for $12 each.
I had to go begging for one as my cuttings died over the winter. Of course--the guy gave me one.

I often wonder if they still have it and if they still propagate it.????????
I also wonder how many new people became enamored with a Brugmansia for the first time ever because of my "Maya"??

Cylburn Arboretum grows most of the plants that are destined to be used in all the big events
at City Hall, Receptions, Special visitors and Holidays and the mayor's office.
Rawlings displays many of the plants Cylburn grows. The two are related and both function under
the "Baltimore City Dept. of Recreation and Parks".

Pic. #4-- is the Cylburn Mansion
Pic. #5--Taken in the Rawlings Palm House--a 5 story all glass building. The original section of Rwlings.

Gita