Lilies: 2014 lilies, 3 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: 2014 lilies

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of 2014 lilies
DonnaMack wrote:
Wow, zone 5b up there is amazing. I am supposedly 5a, but since I moved the survival of my plants is better and I think I'm 5b. I actually put in my last peony today. Tourangelle.And my salvia Rose Sensations. It's so warm that next to my fading lily foliage (need to cut that back) Heritage burst into bloom. It is sometimes in the upper 30'w in the morning but it consistent;y goes up to the 60's. I put my red pepper plants into the garage at night and bring them out during the day once it warms up. My morning glories are still budding and blooming too.

We're at the point where the color is intense. I always think about pulling out the burning bushes until fall, when I rethink it. There is a first year carlesi in front of it, a first year acer griseum to the left, and you can see salvia elegans finally starting to bloom. My salvia mainacht is still going strong without pruning, and Morden Blush gave me a flower.

I see frost on the grass many mornings but it isn't sharp enough to freeze the plants, partcularly on the south side of the house.