Photo by Melody

Specialty Gardening: Can anyone share experiences/thoughts on growing Balsam?, 3 by PAgirl60

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright PAgirl60

In reply to: Can anyone share experiences/thoughts on growing Balsam?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Can anyone share experiences/thoughts on growing Balsam?
PAgirl60 wrote:
Hi Barbara,
I was going through old photos to see if I had any pics of balsam growing in a pot. I found one and also 2 others of balsam growing in the garden. I do remember that when they were growing in a pot, they were not quite as tall. Here in my zone 5 they seem to like the cooler weather better. I remember them being very easy to germinate. In the photos below:

1. they are growing in the left corner and middle
2. throughout the bed
3. in the pot they are growing with Pinwheel Zinnias.

I think they are the kind of flowers that need to be mixed into a flower bed. I find they are very LEAFY looking. Still look like miniature "Palm Trees" to me. I did like them in the pots, though, but I had started them too late. I'm thinking about planting them again this year, but into a small semi-shady bed with foxglove, siberian iris, and bleeding hearts which are all earlier bloomers.. Since those plants are tall, I think balsam would add a nice bit of color to the bed after the others have stopped blooming. I'll probably winter/spring sow them and then transplant them when they are sturdy enough.

happy gardening,
Jane