Can anyone share experiences/thoughts on growing Balsam?

Burnt Chimney, VA(Zone 7a)

Good day! I've purchased some balsam seeds to start indoors, for planting in my not-yet-completed flower garden by my shed. Would any of you have any experiences to share, and your likes/dislikes about it, please?
Thank you!
Barbara

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi sparklinBarb,

I read your post about growing Balsam. I've grown them on and off the past few years. If you like, go to my journal to ANNUALS. I have Balsam listed and the results I had with growing it. Hope it gives you some of the information you might be looking for.

Happy Gardening,

PAgirl60 - Jane

Thank you so much, Jane, I'll do that now! :o)

Jane,
Jul 23, 2012
Never say never. I planted some seeds in a flower pot on my front deck and have sprouts. Maybe growing them in a pot will keep them from becoming very large. Will see.

Did you like them better when planted in a pot? The leafiness is what I was wondering about, based on pictures I've seen of them.

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Barbara,
I was going through old photos to see if I had any pics of balsam growing in a pot. I found one and also 2 others of balsam growing in the garden. I do remember that when they were growing in a pot, they were not quite as tall. Here in my zone 5 they seem to like the cooler weather better. I remember them being very easy to germinate. In the photos below:

1. they are growing in the left corner and middle
2. throughout the bed
3. in the pot they are growing with Pinwheel Zinnias.

I think they are the kind of flowers that need to be mixed into a flower bed. I find they are very LEAFY looking. Still look like miniature "Palm Trees" to me. I did like them in the pots, though, but I had started them too late. I'm thinking about planting them again this year, but into a small semi-shady bed with foxglove, siberian iris, and bleeding hearts which are all earlier bloomers.. Since those plants are tall, I think balsam would add a nice bit of color to the bed after the others have stopped blooming. I'll probably winter/spring sow them and then transplant them when they are sturdy enough.

happy gardening,
Jane

Thumbnail by PAgirl60 Thumbnail by PAgirl60 Thumbnail by PAgirl60

Ah, you are so good to me, Jane! Thanks very much for the pictures. Seems as if my mom had some of those at one time, lo those many years ago. I really appreciate your wonderful information; I believe I'm feeling more positive about growing it.
Have a blessed evening!

Barbara

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Definitely one to try! I've somehow skipped over them for a couple of years, and I miss them mixed into my front bed... just tuck them toward the back or in between where you want a taller accent. They're so pretty, and they have a great bonus feature (for the kid in all of us) with their "exploding" seed pods.

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Barbara,

When I read your last post, I just had to tell you this. Balsam was the first flower I was introduced to as a child. I vaguely remember helping my Mom plant the seeds in a pot where it was kept on table outside in the back yard. That was many years ago, but the memory always makes me smile. I have my mom to thank for letting me experience the beauty of flowers. I bet she's a master gardener in Heaven ... :>))

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Bump!

I grew them from seed for the first time last season and was excited to see so many volunteers. I should probably thin them and give the extras to friends.

Any thoughts on how they fare for transplant?

A.

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi "A",

I would definately thin them out and give extras to friends. The ones I had planted in the garden never came back for me, and I never planted them in that particular garden again. I really hadn't cared for they way they looked in that garden. But this year I'm considering planting some again. Last year I started a shade garden filled with foxglove, bleeding hearts, and ajuga that I think would be ideal for balsam. The only downside is the other plants are safe ... but deer love balsam! I guess I could make sure I douse them in Liquid Fence.

I never really had any problems transplanting them as long as they had a few sets of true leaves and were sturdy enough to handle. I'd go for it! :>)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks!

Here they are in the foreground, left.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

A, that bright green? is that one you mean?

I pulled up cosmos like a weed and then had 2nd thoughts about it and it transplanted GREAT, even after being treated that poorly by me! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yep, the bright green across he back of the bed. They reseeded heavily in this one spot, so I'll get some out and spread them around.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Just starting to bloom. :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Fun! They may not be the showiest flower, but they add so much interest popping up here and there among the perennials!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

They do!

I haven't thinned them out yet, but I'd probably have a better show from a few bigger plants. Anyone looking for seedlings? :D

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL I'm not sure I ever had that big a clump of volunteers... usually one or two "win out" to become the big plants and a few more hang on around them, like chorus girls.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Runners up? :)

I looked at my picture again. It's an awful clump. That part of the garden being so damp, I just want to improve air circulation there. Stuff susceptible to mildew or fungus. Ack!

NIMBY!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If you don't have a place to move them to, just snip off the small ones... probably less disruptive to root system of the "keepers" anyway. I know it goes against the grain -- but thinning is a good thing!

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Amanda,
I'm convinced that IF you head west for work you should probably just give me a yell so I can come and raid your yard.... no sense in letting someone discard your "weeds" when you leave.... better put to use in my yard. ;D

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

No doubt, Mike, I will be calling all cars.

I thought about having a giant plant sale to fund our adventure. Either way, I won't leave my babies untended.

Thanks Mike. You may end up with my Calycanthus from seed just yet. ;)

Critter - good idea. Thanks.

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I love balsam! I cut them off when they go to seed, just leaving one or two of my favorite ones to reseed.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Balsam are volunteers in my garden and I transplanted them in the partial shade garden.I found that they love this site better than full sun.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Those are very pretty.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you Psychw2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.