Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Irises: IRIS GALORE!! Picture sharing!, 3 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: IRIS GALORE!! Picture sharing!

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of IRIS GALORE!! Picture sharing!
wrote:
You reminded me that I hadn't renewed my surbscription to AIS. Could have sworn I did but my name didn't come up in a seach for region 11. Nor did I receive the magazine they send in January. The website changed in the last year, or so. Need to rejoin so I can get a password. If you join online you don't get the magazine since it can be seen online and downloaded. I want the magazine so will send a check.

I was able to download some very early check lists a few years ago I have '59, '69, '79, '89. But they really need to edited for they are hard to read.

I know I can repeat crosses with different results. I have also reversed crossing so that the pod parent became the pollen parent. I have read that the pollen parent determines the flower/color and the pod parent determines the vegetative structure---height, growth, # of branches, etc. How much truth is in that?

I got an Arilbred from my son in Nebraska named Rosemohr (Lewis 1949). It took awhile for it to bloom and could then id it. Blooms great with many buds, about 24" high. Below is the photos. I purchased from Schreiner Gracchus (Ware 1884) and Pallida variegata. Both diploids. Gracchus did produce a small pod with 2 tiny seeds but I dropped them and could not find them due to size. Grrr! At least I know it is fertile.

Who can Rosemohr be crossed with. Some of these historic irises must have some interesting genes. I wonder if pallidas leaves can develop on seedlings with the right cross. I will try to cross Gracchus and Pallida this summer since both are diploids.

1] Rosemohr
3] Gracchus
4 and 5] Pallida variegata