Orchids: September's Back to School Orchids, 3 by dyzzypyxxy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dyzzypyxxy

In reply to: September's Back to School Orchids

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of September's Back to School Orchids
dyzzypyxxy wrote:
I'm with Jim on the Spathoglottis, Melanie. They're great bloomers and easy growers. But so far the yellow is the winner on blooming.

Just got my little plant of yellow ones this spring (at Lowe's) and it has not stopped blooming. I have several clumps of the magenta/purple, and one clump of mauve in the ground in my semi-shady border. The mauve has been blooming a while, but the purple ones are just starting to put up a lot of flower stems. Last year they bloomed into December, though. Can't complain.

I also have the 4th one I'd describe as "opal" because it has pink and yellow and purple and white on the flower. My two healthy plants of this one have not bloomed yet this year, and are showing no signs of starting. But when Jim and I visited Selby Gardens in April we saw the same variety with large flowers on long stalks on huge plants. I repotted them in May, so I'm thinking I'll just be patient and they will reward me down the road. Orchid growing does develop patience - and rewards you for it, too.