Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Fall Swap at Sallys- DISCUSSION about your haves and wants, 3 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Fall Swap at Sallys- DISCUSSION about your haves and wants

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Fall Swap at Sallys- DISCUSSION  about your haves and wants
Gitagal wrote:
pippi---

I really do not do anything special...just may seem that way.
After years of doing all kinds of cuttings and rooting--all this just comes naturally.
If I learn something new--and it makes sense to me--I will implement that in the future.

I have a bale of Pro Mix, which seems to be all Peat Moss and Perlite. Not sure if it has
any fine bits of bark in it or not. I use this mix for most of my rooting--as it contains NO
soil--which could have "stuff" in it.
Yesterday--I took apart my whole Easter cactus, as I think I had over watered it (being it is outside)
and the older stems had all gotten semi rotten and hard. They were falling out of the soil.
Ended up creating several small pots of new cuttings (put these in moist Coir...)
Also ended up with 3 new larger pots. Now--just hoping all these will root.....
Some small pots I had done earlier (clay pots) are all rooted. Should have a bunch to share next May.
These all get a sprinkle when I am watering my other plants.

For my CC. cuttings, I use the tiny little (1 1/2") clay pots to start with. Bathroom cups underneath for "saucers".
Have used the tiny plastic ones too. Main reason I like the clay is that you cannot over-water in clay.
It just dissipates through the walls. Kind of a safety check.
Recycle....recycle.....idea. The tops that come on Yogurts holding the cereal crumbles make
excellent little saucers for small pots. As do lids from jars and containers.

In the winter--I line all these little pots along my window sashes. Many times--I forget to water them,
and some of them start looking a bit shrivel up.

In the summer & fall, they all sit just outside my front door on 2 small, loose wire plant stands.
See my photo above on Aug. 8th. No sun at all--as my house faces North. Perfect, bright shade!
About a month ago--I potted them all up in 4" plastic pots. The kind AV's come in.
They visibly perked up. I still used the Pro Mix as it is light and well draining.
I think I mixed in a bit of moist Coir into it as well. BOY! Does that stuff hold water a long time!!!!

Depending on what I am rooting--some plants get put under my grow lights to help them along.
Such as Coleus, and the Brazilian plume. Brugs., etc. Why not use your light set-up for this purpose,
as it is not needed for seedlings? Even some newly potted up CC sections...to give them a head start.

I like giving people well cared for cuttings and plants. Just my anal way...and it is appreciated.

Pippi--overall, I think what also helps is that I do not fuss a lot about my plants---many times
they are actually ignored. I think plants like a bit of "being ignored".....
As I often forget to water my small plants (inside), the soil gets to dry out which has a couple of benefits as well.

Here are some pictures for you, Pippi.
1--Last Christmas--all these new sections rooting--started in December.
2--Pots on window sashes
3--some babies decide to bloom....:o) Cute!
4--Using my light set-up for cuttings in the winter. Coleus do SOOO well this way!!!