Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Night Blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe (Epiphyllum oxypetalu, 3 by gardenkt

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gardenkt

In reply to: Night Blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe (Epiphyllum oxypetalu

Forum: PlantFiles Pictures

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Night Blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe (Epiphyllum oxypetalu
gardenkt wrote:
I have a Night Flowering Cereus (Lady of the Night). I was given a leaf to grow 6-7 year's ago. It bloomed for the
first time last year. One flower bloomed the other fell off. It was wonderful and the Jasmine smell permeated
throughout the house.

This year I got a new puppy and she knocked the plant over and broke a lot of the stems, I was quite sad because
felt it was about to bloom. To my amazement it liked the hair cut that I gave it and now has 16 buds on it that
are growing quite rapidly and getting ready to flower. My plant is extremely large and is kept inside in an East
facing window. My question is how does my plant get pollinated if there are no insects inside my house, or
do they just sneak in. Is it a moth that pollinates.

I am getting ready to have my friends over for my Lady of the Night gathering to view and smell the gorgeous fragrance.

Photo 1 June 2011 - Photo 2 July 2011 - Photo 3 June 2012 - getting ready to flower.