Night Blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe (Epiphyllum oxypetalu

Common name: Night Blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe
Family: Cactaceae
Genus: Epiphyllum
Species oxypetalum

Plant Link: http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2443/

Thumbnail by yang
Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous! but a pity ,too short-lived the flowers are.
hehheheeh a person calls me the Night Blooming Cereus!Fun!
Thanks to present us so beautiful a flower.

Keizer, OR(Zone 8b)

Great picture of the illusive beauty. No simple task catching it at the right moment.

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

I have just recently joined this group. I only joined because I had read so may postings about the "Night Blooming Cereus" being such a ugly plant with such a beautiful flower. I want to tell you that with some extra care the plant without blooms is just as beautiful. I have 2 plants that are almost 5 ft.tall and they are beautiful. These were my Mother's plants and she called them "Christ In The Manger" the flower does resemble that if you look inside. You are welcome to contact me and I will send you tips on how to get yours to look like this.
Connie
CBaliHi@yahoo.com

I have posted my instructions on the care of the Night Blooming Cereus, aka "Christ In The Manger" on this page just keep scrolling down and you will find it. If you like you can copy and paste it into a word program or easier than that is open a new mail and paste it there and then print it out. Good Luck, Connie

This message was edited Jul 30, 2004 2:10 AM

This message was edited Jul 30, 2004 2:12 AM

Thumbnail by Connie243
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

WOW!

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the kind response that I have gotten on my plants. Somewhere in one of these pots is a 51 year old plant. A start was given to my Mother 51 years ago, before her death she gave the plant to me. I had no idea how to care for them, but looks like I have done pretty good through trial and error. They have bloomed from May or June through to October. As soon as the weather warms up here I put them on the north side of my home and leave them out until right before our first big frost. I only repot about every three years or so, and last year I just changed the soil and added a handful of bone meal to the soil. I fertilize with a liquid fertilizer 10-10-10 at least twice a month in the summer and early fall. This is my favorite of all the flowers that I have. Hope you enjoy as much as I do.
Connie

Thumbnail by Connie243
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh my Connie, how lovely. Maybe I'll have to try this one myself. Dealing in Hawaiiana (Hawaiian antiques), I've come across many photos, paintings and other images of this plant. It's a favorite subject of the 20s-40s artists of Hawaii. But mostly the actual plant is portrayed as this sprawling and unkempt mass of, well yes, ugliness, I must say. Your photos tell me there's more to look into. The flower has always looked lovely and exotic to me. I just don't have room for a hedge, and that's pretty much the only way I've seen them grown. 51 years sounds about right. They were very popular around 1952. Here's Ted Mundorff's famous one.

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Connie, that is a WOW plant! Magnificient pictures, plant with a legend! The aroma from so many flowers at a time must have been wonderful.

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks.
Since the flower only last through the night, I break off several of them and bring then into the house. The aroma inside is "Heavenly".
The tip for keeping them from looking so ugly is when they put off new shoots, pinch about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off of the tip. This forces the shoot to put off leafs instead of growing and growing and then producing one small leaf.
If you look at the picture above of my two plants sitting on my front porch, you will notice there are shoots sticking out at the top that appear to be blunt. They are the ones that I pinched off the tips. Also if the shoot gets too big you can cut it off and put it in dirt or water and it will take root easy. Remember the older leaves are the ones that bloom, you will notice that my blooms are all on the bottom of the plant where the old leaves are.
These grow wild on a bank at Punch Bowl Cemetery, in Hawaii. Several years ago I was fortunate enough to go over there, and I took one leaf with me and planted it at the home of my Daughter. Now my Mother's flower is growing in Hawaii. She would be happy to know that her flower made it over, since she didn't live long enough to go with us.
Again Thanks to all of you for your comments.
Connie

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info Connie, I'll be sure to follow your advice, can't wait for my first bloom! My plant is only about 16" tall right now, but has a lot of leaves an dnew shoots coming up from the soil.

Atlanta, GA

my ex-husband ate one of my blooms and got sick. guess that is why he is my ex. what a horrible demise for such a lovely flower. i have had this plant since i was 4 years old so that is a long time and has weathered the years as well as i have. this plant is like a true friend.

Buda, TX(Zone 8b)

I sold my home in Miami, Florida June of 98' that was with the Night blooming Cerues that had been living off of my live oak tree for over 30 years. For years we would enjoy the flowers by the hundreds every night for about a week. I now live in Buda, Texas. The people that bought my home said they would send me cuttings. I am in the area #8 on the USA map and would like to know if I can attach the cactus to my tree here? If not, how do I get it to grow? I have to say, it is one of the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen. Everyone should have the please of enjoying its blooms.

This plant is truly God's work. I had one 23 years ago when i lived in Puerto Rico and we used to have parties on bloom night (it was called La Dama de la Noche or Lady of the Night). I also saw a different variety in St. Thomas (smaller with thinner petals like some of the other pictures on this site and it was called a Night Blooming Cereus). When I left Puerto Rico, I couldn't bring it with me and have missed it ever since. While visiting my brother in law in Kentucky last summer, he had many outdoor plants and I recognized the leaves of the Night Bloomer, got a cutting and now have two plants doing quite well (about 10" each and growing just like I remember). While I don't think they are ugly in their natural state I love what Connie has done with hers and will strive for such success. Anyone who has never seen one of these is missing a beautiful thing. As soon as I get a bloom I will upload it. I am so happy to have found it I have been telling anyone who will listen about how glorious it is, but they'll just have to see it to believe it. Thanks to all for the info and to Dave for the site.

This message was edited Wednesday, May 28th 11:15 AM

My plant has set buds twice, but both dropped off in a couple of days without ever opening. Also, it now has a tall stalk (about six feet tall and leafless). What is the purpose of that? Should I cut it off? I live in Texas, and it has to be protected in the winter. I've had it for about three years. Please tell me how to make it bloom, and what to do about the long stalks. Are they "suckers"?
Thank you, Gloria
I believe mine is more of a succulent than a cactus. No spines at all, and flat leaves from which other leaves grow.

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

FYI
Something I have learned about the Night Blooming Cereus; is that the buds set better if the flower is out in the cool nights. Also the heat of the summer days will sometimes cause the buds to fall off before they get a change to open.
I keep mine facing North away from any direct sunlight and leave they on my porch until Fall. When we get heavy frost warnings I bring them inside again until Spring. I live in Southern Ohio and our Winters here are too cold for them to be left outside. My sister lives in Florida and she has one planted out in her yard under a palm tree.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 3rd 12:20 AM

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

I am posting a picture of my plant showing the leaves up close for all to see. I received a letter telling me that this plant was called a "Orchid Cactus". I know that it is not the one that is called "Queen of the Night" because the leaves are smooth and no cactus type needles.

I have a form letter that I typed up that I have been sending to all that have written me. I was sent a pamplet from my Sister's friend about the care for the "Queen of the Night". I took those instructions and typed them up, then inserted in all caps. my comments for the care of the one that I have. If anyone wishes a copy of this letter feel free to write me.
I love this plant and love helping others grow them. I still prefer to call it what my Mother called it "Christ In The Manger".
Connie

Thumbnail by Connie243

Thanks for the info. Yang and Connie, I really appreciate it.

I had no idea what this plant was called, and when I went online to search for its name, your photos helped tremedously.

My mom has this plan in her garden and it's always been her favorite. I'm in college now and we don't talk anymore (it's a long story). This plant always reminds me of her and when she and I still got along.

I was wondering if I can find this plant at a common chain such as Home Depot or Orchard Supply and Hardware.

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

I hope this works. I am going to post my instructions here for all to read what I have done over the years to keep my plant alive, healthy, & blooming.
Connie
NIGHT BLOOMING CEREUS "CHRIST IN THE MANGER"

Some things you need to know:

1. They don't do as well in full sun as in the shade. {Depending on where you live and the type of heat that you have in the summer}. I keep mine on my front porch which faces north. {I live in Southern Ohio on the river, summers here can get hot and humid}.

2. They like to be somewhat root bound [being root bound is the secret to getting it to bloom well] and will bloom better if they are. DON'T re-pot any more that every 3 yrs. and just go up 1 pot size. I use regular potting soil & peat moss, and add a hand full of bone meal. Mine are so big now that I just exchange the soil and don't go to a bigger pot. In a few years I will probably have to divide the plants again. I have done that once already.

Here is a copy of instructions that a friend of my Sister sent me, on the care of the Cereus a few years ago. Notice that this one is for the cactus type cereus. I have inserted my ideas into this letter in ALL CAPS, so you can see what my thinking and feelings are on what they say.

If you have any questions at all, no matter how silly you think they may sound, please write and ask. I love to help people grow and enjoy the "Christ In The Manger". This is the name that my Mother called the Cereus when I was growing up and it is what I call it also. I think the Queen of the Night is the name of the one that has a cactus looking tri-side stem, instead of the flat leaf.

Keep me informed of your progress & Good luck, Connie

QUEEN OF THE NIGHT
Selenicereus Grandiflorus

Size and growth rate
Queen of the Night is a slender cactus with yard-long, looping stems which need support. It can get quite big. THEY WILL NOT GET THIS LONG IF YOU PINCH THE TIP OFF A STRAIGHT STEM WHEN IT GETS ABOUT A FOOT OR SO HIGH. THIS
FORCES IT TO PUT OUT LEAFS INSEAD OF GROWING LONG STEMS WITH 1 LEAF ON IT. NOTICE I SAID "STEM" NOT "LEAF".

THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP TO KEEPING IT LOOKING BEAUTIFUL YEAR ROUND. IT WILL PUT OUT LONG SHOOTS OR STEMS & ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PINCH ABOUT 1/4 TO 1/2 INCH OFF THE TIP END WHEN IT GETS TO YOUR DESIRED HEIGHT AND THAT WILL FORCE IT TO PUT OUT LEAFS. The tip is very soft and easy to pinch off.

Flowering and Fragrance
The flowers are trumpet shaped and grow to a length of about 10 inches, with a diameter of 8 to 12 inches. The white petals are surrounded by yellow - brown bract I WOULD CALL MY BRACTS PINK AND NOT YELLOW-BROWN. The plant
characteristically blooms very briefly in June/July. MINE BLOOM FROM JUNE TO SEPT OR OCT. DEPENDING ON THE WEATHER. Flowers last only one night and die early morning.
The flowers have a strong but pleasant fragrance."HEAVENLY" In its natural environment, the flower attracts night insects to pollinate it.

Light and Temperature
In the winter, the plant should have as much sun as possible. As soon as the spring sun comes, however, it should be given curtain-filtered sunlight. During the winter months the temperature should be about 55 deg. to 65 deg.F , but in the summer, it can tolerate higher temperatures. SEE NOTE BELOW

Watering and Feeding
The soil should be kept moist from November to April. I DON'T KEEP MINE MOIST THROUGH THE WINTER MONTHS. I water them when they feel dry on top. Throughout the summer, water frequently and feed the plant with a weak plant food solution. Mist the plant frequently. 10-10-10 IS GOOD FOOD & DON'T MIST IF IT IS IN THE SUN! I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND THE 10-10-10 SO I STARTED USING THE 20-20-20, AND JUST ADDING HALF AS MUCH AS WHAT IT CALLS FOR PER GALLON

Soil and Transplanting
Queen of the Night likes a rich peaty soil, and the pot should be well drained. The plant can be re-potted about once every three years when flowering is over. I HAVE ALWAYS DONE MY RE-POTTING IN THE SPRING, MAINLY BECAUSE IN THE FALL WHEN I BRING THEM IN THE HOUSE THEY USUALLY HAVE A FEW BUDS STILL ON THEM. JUST GO UP 1 POT SIZE AS YOU WANT IT TO STAY ROOT BOUND.

Grooming
Queen of the Night is not usually trimmed, but if it becomes too large for its environment, it will not be harmed if is is carefully groomed back.
THIS I DO NOT AGREE WITH, IF YOU DON'T TRIM IT WILL GROW LONG AND STRAGGLY AND WON'T PRODUCE THE RIGHT SIZE LEAF TO BLOOM! ALSO IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO KNOW IS THAT IT IS THE "OLD LEAVES" THAT PRODUCE THE BUDS, SO NEVER REMOVE THEM.

Propagating
Queen of the Night is increased by cuttings. Carefully trim off the young fresh side shoots which should be 34 to 6 inches long. It is very important that the shoots are not too old. Once a cutting has been take, allow the surface of the wound to dry. Then set it in pure peat, sticking it in to a depth of about an inch. Long, thin cuttings should be supported. Keep the soil moist.
{ I DISAGREE WITH MOST OF THIS, YOU CAN TAKE A LEAF OR A BARE STEM AND PUT IT DIRECTLY INTO THE SOIL OR WATER, AND IT WILL ROOT } THIS COULD BE BECAUSE THEY ARE REFERRING TO THE CACTUS TYPE CEREUS & NOT THE FLAT LEAF ONE.

Environment
Queen of the Night is a tropical apiphyte which thrives best in high humidity and high temperature. At home it will do best with other plants in the greenhouse, or on the sun porch.

Buying tips
Queen of the Night is one of the rarer cacti. The plant should be completely undamaged and free of brown patches on the shoots.
IF YOU GET BROWN SPOTS ON A LEAF IT IS MOST LIKELY CAUSED BY ONE OF TWO THINGS. 1. SUN BURN {IN SUMMER} 2. COLD DRAFT {IN WINTER} EITHER WAY JUST IGNORE IT OR YOU CAN CUT AWAY THE BROWN SPOT BUT DON'T REMOVE THE WHOLE LEAF. IT MAY BE ONE THAT WILL PRODUCE BLOOMS.

Life-span
Queen of the Night can grow to a ripe old age. The first flowering comes after a few years. MY PLANTS HAVE A 50+ ROOTS IN THERE SOMEWHERE. ALWAYS REMEMBER IT IS THE OLD LEAFS THAT BLOOM AND NOT THE NEW ONES. I WOULD GUESS THAT IT MAY TAKE A NEW LEAF ABOUT 4 - 7 YEARS TO BLOOM FOR THE FIRST TIME. THIS IS MERELY A GUESS.

Season
Can be bought throughout the year. {I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU CAN BUY THEM. I HAD A FLORIST ASK ME FOR ONE OF MINE BECAUSE SHE COULDN'T FIND ONE}

Difficulty quotient
Queen of the Night should be grown on a sun porch, in a heated greenhouse, or in a living room with a south facing window.
MINE ARE IN A GLASSED IN SUN ROOM FACING EAST AND HAVE DONE VERY WELL THROUGHOUT THE WINTER MONTHS, FOR SUMMER THEY ARE ON THE FRONT PORCH IN ALMOST FULL SHADE FACING NORTH.

QUEEN OF THE NIGHT through the year December - March : Keep the temperature between about 55 - 65 deg. F.
MINE ARE AT THE SAME TEMP. AS THE REST OF
THE HOUSE, FOR OUR COMFORT. ABOUT 70 DEG. DAY AND 65 NIGHT. IMPORTANT TO KEEP OUT OF DRAFT IF POSSIBLE.

Water carefully, making sure that the soil around the roots is kept moist. The plant should have direct sunlight during the winter months. I DON'T WATER MINE THAT MUCH THROUGH THE WINTER, I NEVER KEEP THE SOIL MOIST, LET IT GET ALMOST DRY BEFORE WATERING AGAIN.

APRIL - SEPTEMBER : When the spring sunshine brings some warmth, give the plant curtain filtered sunlight. WHEN THE THREAT OF FROST IS GONE, AND THE NIGHTS WARM UP TO 50 DEG. I PUT THEM OUTSIDE ON MY FRONT PORCH WHICH FACES NORTH. {USUALLY LATE APRIL OR EARLY MAY, HERE IN OHIO.

From April onward, gradually increase watering. The plant needs a lot of water, and during the summer months it should also be misted frequently.
DON'T MIST IN THE SUNSHINE OR YOU WILL BURN THE LEAFS. ALSO NOW IS WHEN YOU WANT TO START FERTILIZING IT. I USE A 10-10-10 PETER'S FERTILIZER. IN APRIL ABOUT ONCE A MONTH

From May to the end of August, the plant should be fed twice a month. I AGREE
JUNE - JULY : If need be, the plant can be re-potted after flowering. It is usually enough to repot once every three years using a rich soil (preferably a mixture of 1/3 ordinary soil and 2/3 peat).WHEN I RE-POT I ADD A HANDFUL OF BONE MEAL TO THE SOIL AND MIX IT IN. I USE ABOUT 1/2 AND 1/2 PEAT & POTTING SOIL. Good drainage is a must. I HAVE THE BOTTOM OF THE POT FULL OF RIVER GRAVEL, THIS IS GOOD FOR WATER DRAINAGE AND ALSO TO WEIGH THE BOTTOM DOWN, TO KEEP THE PLANT FROM GETTING TOP HEAVY. I use a tomato stake in each of my pots to stake them up, and tie them to the stake with old sheets torn into strips.

OCTOBER - DECEMBER:Queen of the Night should be placed in a spot with as much sun as possible, keeping the temp. between 55 - 65 deg. F.
I HAVE MINE ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE HOUSE. THEY GET MORNING DIRECT SUN AND THE REST JUST LIGHT. IT SEEMS TO WORK FOR ME.

I WILL FERTILIZE MINE WHEN I BRING THEM BACK INTO THE HOUSE IN THE FALL, THEN AGAIN AROUND FEB. AND THEN AGAIN IN APRIL, BEFORE I PUT THEM BACK
OUTSIDE.

BRING THEM BACK INSIDE IN THE FALL. SINCE MINE ARE WELL PROTECTED FROM THE NIGHT FROST I WILL LEAVE MINE OUT UNTIL AFTER AT LEAST THE FIRST LIGHT FROST. THEY SAY THAT THE COOL NIGHTS OF FALL IS WHAT SETS THE BUDS ON FOR THE NEXT SUMMER. JUST DON'T LET THE FROST HIT THE LEAFS.

GOOD LUCK
Connie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9a)

Connie, I myself have the same cereus, she is almost as big, by the way your plant is beautiful. when mine blooms I just stand there with my mouth open the scene in side the flower is over whelming. My mother also gave me her plant, Iwas very lucky to get hers, I have 6 sisters, whom love to pick a piece off, when they visit.the info. you gave out is exactly how I treat mine. Although, Idid't realize the mature leaves sets the blooms.I had pictures, but lost them on computer,but learned my lesson now.Thank you so much for all the great info. and it's not whats on the outside ( the leaves) thatcount, look at what they produce, aheavening beautiful flower.......frangi

Rock Hill, SC

This is truly amazing! It's too beautiful to be real!!

Thank you so much for the pictures.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I just happen on your pictures on the 'News for Today' and all I can say and echo is "WWWWOOOOOWWWWW"!!!! Absolutely, a beautiful plant!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Connie...To repeat everyone else... WOW!!!! You can ignore my E-Mail. I just printed your information.

This pic is one of my plants from Grandmothers original 50 year old plant. You can see I get lots of blooms. There are 20 plus on this plant now. I hope I can make some of my NBC look half as thick as yours.

Thank you for your information... :)

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo
Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Connie, I just stumbled across this thread, too.
Your plant and advice are both fantastic!
I have a young plant, and hopefully I can do a great job training it to look like yours. It is a real inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us.
Toxi

Prairieville, LA

Beautiful flower.. plant has alot to be desired... I exchanged plants with a lady.."Mrs Rosemary " She gave me this wonderful plant... It bloomed the day my 1st Grandson Clayton was born.. Sept (3rd grandchild).. And It bloomed a few years later when my Grandmother ( Tiny ) died.....Sept. My question is I have had this plant in a large pot... I would like to plant it in my yard , but I am not sure where to put it.. OR ..If I should just repot it in a larger pot ?? I live in Prairieville Louisiana.. (between Baton Rouge and New Orleans ) summers are HOT.. winters are mild.... Could someone tell me how much sun this plant needs.. I have had it pretty much under my shaded patio and it has done great . Early morning sun only.. I have been afraid of planting it in the ground for fear of losing it...but it has out grown its pot...Any advice would be greatly appericated.I have had little time to do gardening because of grand kids ..ALL UNDER 3 Years old .. AND 1 due in Aug....Patio plants needs clearing for baby stuff...Thanks... Leslie

This message was edited May 21, 2006 5:04 PM

This message was edited May 21, 2006 5:07 PM

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Hi dentalbar,
I live in Covington, LA, and mine stays in a pot. I've heard from others who have this plant that it won't survive below about 50 degrees, and I just don't like to take the chance. Mine is in filtered shade, but I've heard that deep shade is too shady. Not too much water, the humidity here keeps the soil damp enough, and with our almost daily rain, it's plenty. I've got my first bloom on my plant tonight!

Thumbnail by happytail
Thomasville, NC

i have a christ in a manger plant it is very large and has never been staked it was my mothers plant and she recently passed away but this was her favorite plant and i want to make shure i care for it correctly. can i stake it now without hurting it.also it has grown very long stems can i cut it back? also i have read they can stand temps. in the 20s if this is not corect please let me know if i should bring it indoors.this plant blooms beautifully every year. one more thing every year it has bloomed at night my mom passed away in june 2006 and this year it bloomed dureing the day is this common?

This message was edited Nov 17, 2006 11:01 AM

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Hi Woody , our expert Connie has a good post here.

Read Connie's advice on this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/404328/

She has detailed growing advice and also posted her homemade cactus fertilizer/food recipe.

Good luck,
Shirley

P.S. .......... Myself ,
I bring mine in as soon as temps get down to near 40 , yes you can stake it , yes you should trim the wayward long skinny good for nothing shoots ( you can always stick them back in the pot if you want ) I believe NBC only blooms from older leaves so you are safe trimming for neatness.

Thomasville, NC

Thanks Shirley, it means alot to me for this plant to do well.

Jackson, MN(Zone 4b)

I have a two very sick (Selenicereus grandiflorus ) Queen of the night. I moved to Minnesota from Texas four years ago. the plant seemed just fine and bloomed the in 2007 and 2006. They were keep in the house in the sunnest window. The winter was very cold this year. They have no leaves, but the stems have green on them. Does anyone know a way I could save them.

Thank you,

bev

Prescott, AR

My NBC was a gift from a friend of a friend this spring who had tired of moving it in and out with the seasons. My husband thinks it's ugly,but I'm enjoying the oddity of it. It had two blooms a few weeks ago and now has two more coming--they are amazing blooms. All the above info has been very helpful to me. Thanks

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

Here is a link to a web site I found on line that has the Night Blooming Cereus for sale. I know nothing about the site, but if they send you what they show in the picture I will say that looks like a good deal. http://www.southernpineperennials.com/

Connie

Little Rock, AR

Here is mine. It has shot out a lot of stems since then though.

Thumbnail by samharper
Millstone, NJ

Connie,
A few years ago I came across your directions and BOY did they help me! MY NBC has been very good to me! Thanks for the experienced tips. I now pass them off with clipping to friends and fellow gardeners. Here are a few photos of mine!
Diane

Thumbnail by bluemaggie
Millstone, NJ

couldnt figure out how to post more than one photo at a time, so here is another one

Thumbnail by bluemaggie
Millstone, NJ

one last one

Thumbnail by bluemaggie

Hello Everyone
I have several large plants which flower profusely, at times I have 15 flowers at one time, I was very happy to find this site as I had no idea what this plant was just that it was a night flowering plant given to me by a very old friend years ago, it took several years to flower the first time but then after that is is reliably there each summer blooming at night and emitting its beautiful perfume into the night air. I live in Australia and the plant is in a sheltered position in the garden and just keeps on blooming, I have cut it back several times and potted the cuttings and given them to friends and they have grown, was delighted to hear that one friend who has one of my cuttings has just last night had her first moon flower .. they are truly beautiful plants.

Thumbnail by roxysmum

pic of the latest blooms..

Thumbnail by roxysmum
Danville, CA

I have a Night Flowering Cereus (Lady of the Night). I was given a leaf to grow 6-7 year's ago. It bloomed for the
first time last year. One flower bloomed the other fell off. It was wonderful and the Jasmine smell permeated
throughout the house.

This year I got a new puppy and she knocked the plant over and broke a lot of the stems, I was quite sad because
felt it was about to bloom. To my amazement it liked the hair cut that I gave it and now has 16 buds on it that
are growing quite rapidly and getting ready to flower. My plant is extremely large and is kept inside in an East
facing window. My question is how does my plant get pollinated if there are no insects inside my house, or
do they just sneak in. Is it a moth that pollinates.

I am getting ready to have my friends over for my Lady of the Night gathering to view and smell the gorgeous fragrance.

Photo 1 June 2011 - Photo 2 July 2011 - Photo 3 June 2012 - getting ready to flower.

Thumbnail by gardenkt Thumbnail by gardenkt Thumbnail by gardenkt
Athol, MA

I also have a Christ in the Manger which was given to me just last month.
Its a 20 year old plant and all that I know about it is what you have provided on this site.
Thank you.
I only have one question:
A few of the small leaves have what appear to be .."roots" growing out of the leaf. It's a very shiny, healthy leaf but it almost looks like there's 20 or so of these 1/2" long "roots" growing directly out of the center vein of the leaf and ONLY the center vein, not the edges of the leaf. What in the world are they? Is it good? or bad? They are soft to the touch and white in color. There's only 3 leaves on this whole plant that look this way. It's a very unique plant and I hope someday to see it bloom.

Silver Springs, FL

Grown from a leaf and 6 foot by 9 feet wide 7 years later ... in Florida

sixty blooms with 40 more probably tomorrow

Thumbnail by ChuckFL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.