Lilies: 2014 lilies, 2 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: 2014 lilies

Forum: Lilies

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of 2014 lilies
DonnaMack wrote:
No bulbils in the bed, so not to worry. That's the beauty of planting some lilies in pots and then simply putting the pots in the beds. My speciosum is taking a breather too. Buds are very late, but that's OK.

My first speciosum Uchida is blooming. Those didn't work in pots - I did that last year. So I ordered a couple in spring and got my first flower yesterday. I acidified the soil for them. If they overwinter well in the ground I may put all of them, including yours from last year, in the ground. It is on the south side of the lawn.

Some plants do better in the ground than pots. I overwintered rose Enfant du France in my former garage and it would never rebloom. I put this one in the ground and it's blooming like clockwork. It always has flowers or buds. I find that my rose Gruss an Aachen bloomed well in pots but is insane in the ground.

I missed, by days, the B&D web only offer on six six speciosums each of Uchida and alba. But I did reorder Red Alert, and threw in a couple of Silk Road. I used to have four and now I have two - moved them around too much. I am putting them close to baptisia australis, a combo I had at home. Baptisia tends to support the stems, and it also hides them, which I think is great, because I don't find them attractive. The second pic shows the effect I want.

Also, I preordered White Henryis and platyphyllum from Scott at OHG. Gotta put 'em somewhere!