Photo by Melody

Daylilies: Anyone lose plants since last year?, 2 by weedyseedy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weedyseedy

In reply to: Anyone lose plants since last year?

Forum: Daylilies

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Anyone lose plants since last year?
weedyseedy wrote:
I have a couple that seem to have deteriorated, fewer fans, a lot of Spring sickness. One that I can never seem to grow is H lilioasphadelus, Lemon Lily. It's a species and grows as an escape around here so you would think it would thrive---no way, I cannot seem to get a good clump.. I am irked every time I drive out in the country and see a huge clump beside a farm house or a patch actually growing in the woods on state land . I have pirated some from around an old cellar and still it doesn't grow. There are only two scapes on one clump and since I want to try and cross it with a H minor which was supposedly propagated from wild seed from Siberia, I am not too optimistic. Of course if I would work on a new bed or two and use some amendments and keep them watered and weeded----------------------------------------------??? I have dozens of clumps that need dividing and a few hundred seedlings that may not be worth lining out. Some of the most vigorous plants crowd themselves into such a tight clump they don't bloom and I have several seedlings that need to be split if family problems settle down enough for me to collect my thoughts and plan where to plant them and when to divide them---I think after they bloom for Spring blooming plants. Red seedling has twenty five or thirty tight fans. Have an old photo of it if I can find it--blooms last of May to end of June which is early for this area. ----------------------------------Weedy