Anyone lose plants since last year?

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Most of my daylilies are up but I'd say I have almost ten that still haven't shown their faces and I'm worried. I figured I'd give them a little more time before I dig to see if there's anything there.

Anyone else have this happen this year in zone 5 (Wisconsin)? I can't say I've ever really lost any daylilies before except for a few I overwintered in pots, so this is kind of a shocker for me.

Thanks for your feedback!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Surprisingly, I lost none this year!!

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

There are quite a few empty spaces in my yard. The 4" of rain didn't help them. Some of the beds were
under water for awhile.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I've dug up my favorite seedling since it wasn't showing it's face. It was definitely developing crown rot. I think I can save it though since the roots are all OK

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I think I did loose a plant after all and it was the species lemon lily. Can't seem to find it.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

HI, Lost a few here..they were in pots tipped over ready to plant this season (long move of the whole garden) Crown rot or just nothing. I had done a late seeding last fall and held over in the house (really bad move) but still had two..squirrel got one..have the other one surrounded. With this weather rollercoaster. don't know about the other ones who have sent up kind of weak looking leaves.

Wandered the garden yesterday and this AM...picking up tags marking now empty spaces (: Baby Blue, Sea Siren, Ming Porceline, Lemonheads..etc... Need to start keeping a list of the tags so that I can do specific shopping at the WI Daylily Society sale this summer. I have to see if I have any pollen saved , so that I can still do some pollinating ..sigh!!!

This message was edited May 26, 2013 11:53 AM

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I have some on "watch" that I am pretty sure won't be back. I have a few that are down to a single fan. IT is weird because sometimes it is ones that seemed to be vigorous the year before... I was going to ask what I could do to help them be more vigorous.

Warners, NY

I have a couple that seem to have deteriorated, fewer fans, a lot of Spring sickness. One that I can never seem to grow is H lilioasphadelus, Lemon Lily. It's a species and grows as an escape around here so you would think it would thrive---no way, I cannot seem to get a good clump.. I am irked every time I drive out in the country and see a huge clump beside a farm house or a patch actually growing in the woods on state land . I have pirated some from around an old cellar and still it doesn't grow. There are only two scapes on one clump and since I want to try and cross it with a H minor which was supposedly propagated from wild seed from Siberia, I am not too optimistic. Of course if I would work on a new bed or two and use some amendments and keep them watered and weeded----------------------------------------------??? I have dozens of clumps that need dividing and a few hundred seedlings that may not be worth lining out. Some of the most vigorous plants crowd themselves into such a tight clump they don't bloom and I have several seedlings that need to be split if family problems settle down enough for me to collect my thoughts and plan where to plant them and when to divide them---I think after they bloom for Spring blooming plants. Red seedling has twenty five or thirty tight fans. Have an old photo of it if I can find it--blooms last of May to end of June which is early for this area. ----------------------------------Weedy

Thumbnail by weedyseedy Thumbnail by weedyseedy
Liberal, KS

I lost a few daylily's, am so upset. I got them from generous people from here on Dave's. i started gardening from scratch again last fall. If it wasn't for such generous people I wouldn't have much. received other beautiful plants which most survived but unfortunately i lost many amongst them were fennel, mints, my bunny ears, and a few other's will see if I can replace them slowly. But all that did survive look beautiful!!! " thanks to you" (you know who you are) I hope soon I will be able to repay these kind people by giving other's as was given to me.

Martina

Meant to say thanks to you all

This message was edited May 10, 2013 10:11 PM

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I have lost several. Some died last summer because of the heat (they were planted in a corner next to a driveway and a walkway and I think it just got too darned hot there, most of the rest are fine.) The sad thing is that two of the ones I lost were Willie Marcus and my beloved Westbourne Whipperwill Call.

Willie Marcus 6-12

WB Whipperwill Call 6-25

Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206

Does anyone think using composted manure could cause crown rot? I found Beautiful Edgings down to 2 small fans and one fan that smelled fowl and rotting, so I am assuming it was crown rot. I had some rot in another area the same year I ordered them. Is it spreadable? I am awful about cleaning tools.. but will start if I'm spreading crown rot around!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't know if it's spreadable or if the composted manure would cause the crowns to rot. I put aged cow manure on my beds a lot, but not problems with crown rot. It's caused more by too much moisture, I think.

I lost a few daylilies over the winter, mostly from crown rot, and they were mostly new ones that I got last year. I don't normally have a problem with established clumps. I lost a few that were potted up for sale, but I normally have very few losses of my potted daylilies. I'm pretty sure crown rot was the culprit on them. They probably had too much moisture, and then we always get a lot of freeze/thaw cycles here.

Karen

Thanks so much Karen!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Laura, good to see you. Sorry to hear about all the losses.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I have a few that I lost.............. I think the total is 5..... but they were just planted in the fall. I also have one that was huge last year - that is now down to one TINY fan.... I have NO idea what happened to that one. My ground is very sandy and even after lots of amendment does not really 'hold' water so I can not imagine it being a moisture issue....................

But thankfully, most of the ones that I planted in the fall have done very well and bloomed. Hopefully next year they will really put on a show being much more established!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.