Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: Sept. - 2012, it's time for Fall, and changing colors o, 2 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: Sept. - 2012, it's time for Fall, and changing colors o

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Sept. - 2012, it's time for Fall, and changing colors o
shortleaf wrote:
Unfortunately, I have acquired several houseplants this year and made 3 more SpiderPlants from babies. I don't really regret it, but now the task of finding a place for them (which I always do, well, usually..lol). Now that I think about it, I had to leave several houseplants in the garage over the Winter 3 years ago and roughly half of them succumbed to the temperatures, I kept them watered. In my defense, I had even asked family members if they'd keep them at their houses, I didn't have any takers. I lost a nice CornPlant and a Euphorbia that Winter, I got photos then of them not looking so good, it is grim! - That Aloe Vera, SnakePlant and Purple Wandering Jew made it, but the Aloe Vera succumbed this Summer to the heat I'm guessing, it shriveled all up and died about a month or 2 ago, stuff happens. I'm guessing Aloe Vera likes about 80° or 90° but not 103° every steenking day for days and weeks at a time! I could tell some of my other houseplants (like Dieffenbachia..lol) were languishing in the heat, they'd die way down, or I'd bring them in for a few days or put them in the shade this Summer and they'd get leaves and do considerably better. And then, some other houseplants like Sago Palm, SpiderPlant, Mother-In-Laws-Tongue AND SnakePlant and striped Wandering Jew never flinched in the heat.
And of course, my cactuses and Succulents sucked the heat up thru a straw!

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 8:51 PM